Request for consultation
The online Virtual Biology Laboratory (VBL) enables students to "do" science by acquiring data, performing experiments, and using that data to explain biological concepts or phenomena. Designed within a simulation format, guided activities provide step-by-step instructions, self-graded quizzes, and self-designed activities in which students can plan their procedures around an experimental question and write up their results in the form of a lab report that can be submitted for evaluation. Working online, students do not have to hassle with setting up expensive equipment and waiting for results. The 14 VBL modules are available as a set or individually on their own, and can be packaged with any Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning text.
- NEW - Increased Speed: VBL 4.0 has been converted to an updated, faster platform for even better performance and user experience.
- NEW - Easier Navigation: The new interface and lab organization make it easier for students and instructors to navigate within VBL.
- NEW – Learning Management System Integration: Each lab can be assigned within a learning management system like Blackboard or WebCT. Instructors can track completed labs and quiz scores within the gradebook, and inspect individual responses.
- A Robust Lab Program: VBL offers 14 labs that include 30 simulations and 130 activities.
- Easy-to-use, Three-part Approach: Each of the 14 online labs includes a general introduction, a series of interactive laboratory exercises, and a series of review questions.
- Simulation Format: The experiments require the students to supply data and to alter values as well as compare and interpret results. Therefore, the outcome of each lab depends on student-determined variables.
- Flexible Assessment: All labs contain Quizzes (formerly "Worksheets") with multiple choice questions, free form answers, and graphical data plotting.
- Flexible Submission: Students can print their worksheets, email their work, or if instructors take advantage of the built-in course management, submit results directly to the grade book.
1. Mendelian Inheritance of Sickle Cell Anemia.
2. DNA Sequencing.
3. DNA Fingerprinting.
VBL: CELL MEMBRANES.
1. Simple Diffusion.
3. Cell Diffusion.
VBL: CELL CHEMISTRY.
VBL: CELL DIVISION.
1. Cell Division.
VBL: CELL STRUCTURE.
1. Biochemistry Tutorial.
2. Molecular Viewer.
VBL: GENETICS (PEDIGREE ANALYSIS LAB)
1. Simulation 1: Pedigree Analysis Tutorial.
2. Simulation 2: Inheritance of Genetic Abnormalities and Disorders.
3. Simulation 3: Genetic Counseling Case Studies.
VBL: CELL RESPIRATION.
1. Physical Activity.
2. Body Temperature.
VBL: ECOLOGY LAB.
1. Energy Flow.
2. Carbon Cycle.
3. Community Ecology.
VBL: POPULATION BIOLOGY.
1. Population Growth.
2. Predator-Prey I.
3. Predator-Prey II.
VBL: EVOLUTION LAB.
1. Population Genetics.
2. Evolution in Natural Populations.
3. Laboratory Tests of Natural Populations.
1. Action Spectrum.
3. Carbon Dioxide Fixation.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It provides an animation library, Instructor’s Manual, image library, PowerPoint slides, and a video library.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.