Request for consultation
Demonstrating how mathematics is used in real-world practice, MATH FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, 2E is a comprehensive, foundational resource that is equally effective in the classroom or for self-study. It assumes no prior knowledge of mathematics or health care but merges the two into the capstone of a complete learning package -- including a student workbook and the MindTap digital learning solution. The book emphasizes the fundamentals of mathematics as well as their application to health care. Through drug dosages, intake and output, weights and measures, temperatures, IV drip rates, conversions, illustrations of syringes, prescriptions, medication labels, IV bags, and I and O charts, readers practice real-life health care skills requiring mathematics. The Second Edition includes new chapters on pre-algebra and geometry as well as statistics. It also offers expanded coverage of body mass index, 24-hour time, calculating the volume of containers of various shapes, and more.
- Bringing chapter concepts to life, MindTap® for Kennamer's MATH FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, 2e delivers a digital learning solution that helps instructors engage and transform today's students into critical thinkers. Through paths of dynamic assignments and applications that you can personalize, real-time course analytics, and an accessible reader, MindTap® helps you turn cookie cutter into cutting edge, apathy into engagement, and memorizers into higher-level thinkers.
- An all-new chapter -- Essentials of Pre-Algebra and Geometry -- covers the fundamentals of these two key areas to ensure your students have a solid foundation in the building blocks of the higher-level math they will need in the health care field.
- An all-new chapter -- Application of Statistical Principles in Health care -- walks students step by step through the fundamentals they will need to know to apply statistics to real-world practice as health care practitioners.
- Continuing to offer current, comprehensive coverage, chapters have been expanded to include such new topics as body mass index, 24-hour time, calculating the volume of containers of various shapes and sizes, and much more.
- Extremely student friendly, the Second Edition is relevant to all health care professions. Its user-friendly design enables students to quickly test out on the topics they already know, review the areas that need a quick refresher, and learn new material with which they are not familiar.
- Health Care Applications: While the fundamentals of mathematics are foundational to this book, their application to health care is emphasized. Drug dosages, intake and output, weights and measures, temperatures, IV drip rates, and conversions are emphasized and illustrations of syringes, prescriptions, medication labels, IV bags, and I and O charts allow the student to practice real-life health care skills requiring mathematics.
- Complete Learning Package: MATH FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, 2e serves as the foundation of a complete mathematics learning package for health care learners. Other components of the system include a quick review manual, a student workbook, and an online learning solution, Mindtap.
- Pre-Test Assessments: Each chapter begins with a pre-test to assess prior knowledge of the material -- enabling students to target specific areas of study that need improvement instead of spending time on skills they have already mastered.
- Self-Checks: Skill Sharpener exercises appear after each section so that students can self-test their abilities prior to progressing to the next section.
- Real-World Insight: Through "Math in the Real World" features, health care professionals share with students the importance of math in health care practice -- using their own words and drawing from their own professional experiences.
- Clearly Stated Objectives: Each chapter includes a list of learning objectives, helping students focus on key concepts. Each objective is listed as a primary heading with an explanation immediately following.
1. Math as a Health care Function.
Unit 2: BASIC PRINCIPLES.
2. Numerical Systems.
3. Measurement Systems.
4. Whole Number Review.
7. Ratio and Proportions.
10. Essentials of Pre-Algebra and Geometry.
Unit 3: APPLICATIONS.
11. Medication Dosage Calculations.
12. Weights, Measures and Time.
13. Measuring Intake and Output.
14. Application of Statistical Principles in Health care.
Unit 4: ADDITIONAL LEARNING RESOURCES.
Appendix A: Resources.
Appendix B: Abbreviations.
Appendix C: Equivalents.
Appendix D: Glossary.
Appendix E: Final Summative Evaluation.
Answers to Selected Questions.
“The book provides a comprehensive review of mathematical calculations for individuals interested in health care. The pretest, skill sharpener exercises and review/reflect provide the student with the means to assess their ability and improve those skills. I like how the book is laid out and can be used as an independent study guide.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
The student workbook is designed to help you retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions; key-term definition queries; and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems.