Request for consultation
LIGHTING AND THE DESIGN IDEA, Third Edition, emphasizes the design process-the process by which lighting designers turn their ideas about a piece into the medium of stage lighting. The technological tools of stage lighting are covered, with a focus on using those tools within the design process. A new chapter provides real-world advice on positioning oneself for a career in performance lighting.
- NEW Chapter 15, Lighting Design and Your Future. This new chapter provides real-world advice on positioning oneself for a career in performance lighting, sample resumes and cover letters, and other helpful tools for making the transition from student to working professional.
- All new coverage of LED light sources, in Chapter 2 on Light and Vision, Chapter 5 on Color, and Chapter 10 on Instrumentation.
- Expanded coverage of computer visualization techniques in Chapter 8, Design Development.
- New color plates illustrate the color rendering properties of LEDs as compared to incandescent, fluorescent, and HID sources.
- Chapter 11, Organization and Control, includes new examples drawing on hybrid consoles for the control of mixed rigs of automated and conventional luminaires.
- Chapter 12, Drafting the Finished Plot and Section, has been significantly overhauled to reflect current professional practice and the use of both Vectorworks and AutoCad.
- Significant updates to technical content throughout the text.
- Subheadings make the text easier to follow – added at the request of several adopters and reviewers.
- Color Theory is now in a new position in the text, immediately following Elements of Composition.
- Expansion of the "Functions" section of Chapter 3 based on user feedback.
2. Light and Vision.
3. Functions and Properties of Light on the Stage.
4. Elements of Composition.
6. Conceptual Framework.
7. Lighting Design Research.
8. Design Development.
9. Lighting Positions.
11. Organization and Control.
12. Drafting the Finished Plot and Section.
13. Execution of the Design.
15. Lighting Design and Your Future.
Appendix: Principles of Electricity.