Request for consultation
LEADERSHIP: PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT AND CAREER SUCCESS, Fourth Edition, explores the leadership skills that are most valued in agricultural industries, helping students identify and enhance their strongest traits while developing the skills they need for professional success. This reader-friendly text covers the fundamentals of public speaking, Future Farmers of America (FFA) parliamentary procedure, group dynamics, interpersonal skills, and workplace readiness, as well as reinforcing basic English language, communication, and higher-order thinking abilities. Drawing on decades of experience in family farming and agricultural education, the authors offer practical guidance on topics such as budgeting, financial management, and investing, and include clear learning objectives and engaging activities to help students master the material and hone their skills. Now updated with the latest research; current FFA guidelines; and new tables, figures, and vignettes, this trusted text is an ideal resource to prepare students for successful agricultural careers--and roles as tomorrow's leaders in the food, fiber, and natural resources fields.
- The authors have added vignettes to each chapter to clarify key leadership concepts and help students apply what they have learned in real-world scenarios.
- The Fourth Edition features current information on the latest research findings concerning leadership--including new and updated theories--all presented in an easy-to-understand way to make the material accessible for readers of any level.
- Numerous tables and figures have been updated throughout the text to include more recent information and events of interest to today’s students.
- The new edition reflects current Future Farmers of America (FFA) rules for career development events (CDEs); chapters on parliamentary procedure, creed, public speaking, and extemporaneous speaking all include updated material.
- As experienced farmers, teachers, and writers, the authors present material in an engaging, easy-to-understand way that is firmly grounded in the realities of today’s agricultural industry--and speaks the needs and goals of those aspiring to become tomorrow’s industry leaders.
- Chapter-opening learning objectives and Terms to Know draw students’ attention to key information and help guide their reading and study for maximum effectiveness.
- End-of-chapter activities include both traditional review questions and matching completion questions, while hands-on activities help students apply what they have learned, enhance their understanding, and develop leadership skills.
- The authors discuss personality types and how they relate to leadership, learning, and communication styles in order to improve students’ self-awareness, help them bring out the best in others, and explore how varying leadership styles can affect relationships with personnel.
- The text presents techniques related to self-concept, decision-making, time management, and ethics in the workplace to help prepare students to achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Realistic portrayals of interviews--and candid discussions of what employers look for in potential employees--provide valuable insights and advice to help students find, obtain, and keep a job.
1. Leadership Categories and Styles.
2. Personality Types and Their Relationship to Leadership and Human Behavior.
3. Learning Styles and Leadership.
4. Developing Leaders.
5. Leading Teams and Groups.
Part II: COMMUNICATION AND SPEAKING TO GROUPS.
6. Communication Skills.
7. Reciting (FFA Creed).
8. Prepared Speaking (FFA Public Speaking).
9. FFA Extemporaneous Public Speaking.
Part III: LEADING INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS.
10. Basic Parliamentary Procedure.
11. Advanced Parliamentary Procedure.
12. Conducting Successful Meetings.
Part IV: MANAGERIAL LEADERSHIP SKILLS.
13. Problem Solving and Decision Making.
14. Goal Setting.
15. Time Management.
16. Motivating Others.
17. Conflict Resolution.
Part V: PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT.
20. Ethics in the Workplace.
Part VI: TRANSITION TO WORK SKILLS.
21. Selecting a Career and Finding a Job.
22. Getting the Job: Resumes, Applications, and Interviews.
23. Employability Skills: Keeping the Job.
Appendix A: The “Shotgun Approach”: Implementation of Key Principles of Learning.
Appendix B: Parliamentary Procedure Career Development Event.
Appendix C: Jobs in Agriculture.
Appendix D: National FFA Employment Skills Career and Leadership Development Event.
Appendix E: Supervised Agricultural Experience and Leadership.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.