Request for consultation
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT LAW: TEXT & CASES, 15TH EDITION, written by a nationally renowned White House labor arbitrator, offers comprehensive and objective coverage of labor and employment law topics that challenge students to develop critical thinking skills through case analysis. In-depth chapters explore labor law topics, focusing primarily on the National Labor Relations Act, and are updated to include coverage of court systems and the role of administrative agencies in policymaking. In addition, a thorough understanding of employment law topics is provided through chapters on discrimination law, occupational safety and health issues, employee privacy and more. Also included in this edition are issues of violence in the workplace and the implications of the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. No other text in this market can claim the prestige of authorship and timely coverage of topics so important to students in their business careers.
- NEW! Fully updated topics throughout the text reflect the most current developments in labor and employment law: jurisdictional issues of the RLA and the NLRA, the protection of employee rights under the NLRA, and violence in the workplace. In addition, text and cases expand upon and clarify issues such as: supervisors eligibility or exclusion from the NLRA, union efforts to avoid the NLRB election process, union secondary activity (including consumer picketing, handbilling, and bannering), permanent replacement status of strikers, ERISA and public sector union security clauses, equal employment opportunities issues, age discrimination law, most recent changes to the ADA Amendments Act, whistleblower law, employee privacy rights, and overtime and immigration issues.
- NEW! New cases have been added throughout the text to provide the timeliest illustrations of critical labor and employment law issues. All the most recent labor and employment law cases decided by the Supreme Court are either referenced or reported in this edition, including significant retaliation and equal employment opportunity cases.
- NEW! End-of-chapter questions and problems have been updated and revised to reflect the most current developments in labor and employment law.
- NEW! The glossary has been updated to include several new terms. Specialized vocabulary plays an integral role in this discipline, and learning the terminology serves as a basis for learning how to apply legal concepts.
- NEW! The footnotes in this edition have been fully updated and new footnotes have been added throughout the text. The footnotes not only meticulously provide case citations for further research or assignments, but also provide interesting side-stories to help illustrate the legal concepts explored, offer historical or additional information, and give differing points of view to encourage critical thinking and discussion.
- NEW! New assets have been added to the companion website (www.cengagebrain.com) to help students and instructors, including: General Employment and Labor Law information; web links and descriptions of Departments, Agencies, Associations and Organizations; Legal Forms and Documents; links to Recent Employment and Labor Law cases (updated monthly); a list of Employment and Labor Law blogs; and more!
- Modern Employment Topics: Current information is provided on privacy rights, employment at will, and non-compete agreements. Chapters on pay and equity, age discrimination, disability discrimination laws, and workers' compensation are included.
- Detailed Footnotes: The footnotes in this edition of Labor and Employment Law have been fully updated and new footnotes have been added throughout the text. The footnotes not only meticulously provide case citations for further research or assignments, but also provide interesting side-stories to help illustrate the legal concepts explored, offer historical or additional information, and give differing points of view to encourage critical thinking and discussion.
- Labor Topics: Labor topics include protection for contingent workers, the union tactic of salting the workforce targeted for union organizational campaigns, and the legality of employee involvement (EI) programs.
- Current ADR and Mediation Coverage: The discussions of alternate dispute resolution and mediation reflect current trends.
2. Congress, Administrative Agencies, and the Courts.
3. Railway and Airline Labor Relations Law.
4. The National Labor Relations Act.
5. Employer and Unfair Labor Practices.
6. Regulation of Union Activities.
7. Legality of Strikes.
8. Dispute Settlement Law.
9. Regulating Internal Union Conduct: ERISA: RICO.
10. Public Employment and Labor Law.
11. Occupational Safety and Health Law.
12. Discrimination Laws: Protected Classes under Title VII and the Constitution.
13. Procedures and Remedies.
14. Pay Equity; Age Discrimination.
15. Disability Discrimination Laws – Workers Compensation, SSDI, and the ADA – Medical and Military Leaves.
16. Employment Relationships: Contractual and Tort Theories.
17. Employee Privacy Topics.
18. Wage and Hour Laws – Closings and Unemployment – Foreign Workers.