Request for consultation
Based on extensive research, IT’S ABOUT TIME: AMERICA’S IMPRISONMENT BINGE, 4e offers a compelling argument illustrating how the U.S. attempts to lower crime by using our correctional system as the primary solution. The book’s comprehensive coverage exposes students--many for the first time--to the varying points of view of the corrections system. Personal accounts from prisoners--and one of the authors--spotlight the brutal aspects of prison life and the intent of the U.S. to create a “prison industrial complex”. The authors, one of whom served 10 years in prison before becoming a noted criminologist in the field, present the material in a powerful but compassionate manner. Completely current, the Fourth Edition includes updated statistics and coverage of such key issues as sex offenders, immigration, the impact of the war on terror, and more. The book’s strong research foundation and reader-friendly presentation make it an ideal resource for a wide variety of courses.
- New! Each chapter now includes an opening vignette based on a recent high-profile case or issue in the news to help students make the connection between theory and real-world application.
- New! Keeping this book on the cutting edge, the Fourth Edition includes coverage of such key topics as plea bargaining, sex offenders, juveniles in adult prisons, special populations, immigration, the impact of the war on terror, and more.
- New! To provide maximum learning reinforcement, learning objectives are listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- Offering comprehensive yet balanced coverage, IT’S ABOUT TIME: AMERICA’S IMPRISONMENT BINGE, 4e delivers a critical analysis of the U.S. prison system and the damage it imposes on prisoners.
- Completely current, the text provides the most up-to-date statistics available on crime rates, criminal justice expenditures, and the overall state of the prison system.
- The text draws from real-world, firsthand accounts--including the personal experiences of one of the authors--to give students a rare insider’s look into modern prison life.
2. Who Goes to Prison.
3. The Imprisonment of Children and Women.
4. The Private Prison Binge.
5. Doing Time.
6. Super Max.
8. The Correctional Treatment Industrial Complex.
9. The Three Strikes and You’re Out Movement.
10. It’s About Time.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning eBook, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.