Request for consultation
INTRODUCTION TO VETERINARY SCIENCE, Third Edition, provides a solid foundation in this dynamic field for those studying animal and veterinary sciences or preparing for careers as veterinary assistants or technicians. The text begins with an overview of cellular and tissue physiology, followed by chapters dedicated to individual body systems to enable easy comprehension. The authors then investigate crucial topics such as nutrition, disease, surgeries, cost analysis of procedures, safety, and professionalism. Throughout the text, real-life examples are integrated with chapter material to provide practical context, and both small and large animals are featured to expose students to the variety of cases they may encounter in the field. Each chapter opens with a "Day in the Life" preview that explores relevant applications of upcoming content, and chapters conclude with a description of clinical significance.
- Chapters now feature additional hands-on activities that incorporate easy-to-find materials, helping reinforce student learning using a variety of applications.
- A new chapter dedicated to safety provides guidelines to help ensure student safety in the classroom and field laboratories, as well as establishing safe and effective habits students can apply in their professional careers.
- Veterinarian and author Dr. James Lawhead has updated and expanded explanations of technical material to help students master advanced concepts more easily.
- New photos and figures throughout the text help bring veterinary practice into the classroom, providing valuable real-world context and stronger engagement for today’s visual learners.
- The new Third Edition discusses current technology used in veterinary practice, providing information on recent advances in the field of veterinary medicine and the latest tools and techniques used by practicing professionals.
- A robust image gallery allows instructors to enliven classroom sessions, group activities, and student assignments with visual aids designed to enhance understanding and engagement.
- Drawing on his own professional experience, co-author and veterinarian Dr. James Lawhead describes relevant mixed practice cases to illustrate key concepts and bring the material to life for students.
- "A Day in the Life" features introduce each chapter by presenting a relevant clinical example to provide useful real-world context and connect theoretical material to practical, professional considerations.
- The text begins with information at the basic level of cell units and proceeds to a systems approach, creating a learning path that is sequentially logical and highly effective.
- Chapter-opening activities provide relevant hands-on experiences to engage students’ interest immediately and lay the groundwork for more effective understanding and mastery of upcoming material.
1. Basic Cell Biology.
2. Tissue Types and Functions.
3. The Musculoskeletal System.
4. The Circulatory System.
5. The Respiratory System.
6. The Renal System.
7. The Digestive System.
8. The Reproductive System.
9. The Nervous System.
10. The Endocrine System.
11. The Immune System.
Part II: NUTRITION.
12. Basic Nutrients.
13. Species Comparison.
Part III: DISEASES.
14. Principles of Infectious Disease.
15. Disease Prevention.
16. Classification of Diseases.
18. Diagnosis of Disease.
Part IV: SURGERY.
19. Principles of Surgery.
Part V: PROFESSIONALISM AND CAREERS.
21. Careers and Decision Making in Veterinary Science.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, lesson plans, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.