Request for consultation
INTRODUCTION to EPIDEMIOLOGY: DISTRIBUTION AND DETERMINANTS OF DISEASE gradually immerses students in the science of public health while learning about cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, infectious diseases, and more. The first half of the book focuses on basic concepts in epidemiology, such as its history and integration into public health, disease occurrence, data sources, accuracy, and study design. Delving into high impact diseases and conditions, the second half guides students through the distribution and determinants of disease, including those of developing countries, which provides a global perspective. This first edition text was written for students with no prior knowledge of epidemiology, and includes useful online references, basic math resources, real-world problems, and an optional supplement package for better, faster comprehension! CourseMate includes an interactive eBook, interactive learning tools, including Quizzes, Flashcards, Videos, and more, as well as Engagement Tracker, which allows instructors to track individual or class progress. (Optional purchase with text – learn more about CourseMate at www.cengage.com/coursemate).
- Engaging Historical Profiles are presented alongside relevant in-text discussions; this innovative feature presents key historical milestones in public health and epidemiology to broaden your students' perspective and add interest to the readings.
- Special Sections: "A Closer Look" highlights relevant recent events and health trends that impact epidemiological studies. For example, discussion on the outbreak of cholera in Haiti following a devasting earthquake in 2010 offers tangible examples of public health principles at work in the real-world!
- Effective chapter organization allows students to first understand the basic tools and methods of epidemiologic research while Part II reinforces those foundations by applying them to the specific challenges of cancer, diabetes, and disease outbreak control, among other interesting and vital topics!
- Supporting Features: Highlighted key words help students identify and remember important concepts as they progress through the material, while the end-of-book glossary is a quick and convenient reference tool.
- End-of-chapter Review Questions reinforce critical concepts and lessons of the chapter so students gain confidence in understanding the material. Website Resources listed at the end of each chapter offer avenues to further investigation into chapter content!
- Uniquely Focused: Designed for the readers with little or no experience in epidemiology.
1. Introduction to Epidemiology.
2. Fundamentals of Epidemiology.
3. Measuring Disease Occurrence and Exposure.
4. Using Rates and Ratios.
5. Data Sources.
7. Study Designs.
Part II: APPLICATIONS OF EPIDEMIOLOGY TO SPECIFIC DISEASES.
8. Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease.
9. Epidemiology of Cancer.
10. Epidemiology of Diabetes.
11. Reproductive Epidemiology.
12. Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases.
13. Epidemiology of Vaccine Preventable Diseases.
14. Disease Transmission and Outbreak Investigations.
15. The Practice of Epidemiology in Developing Countries.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
The instructor Companion Website serves as an instructional resource and provides teaching tools: an online, downloadable Instructor's Manual, a computerized test bank in ExamView, prepared downloadable PowerPoint presentations for each chapter, and additional interviews and case studies for classroom activities or assignments.
CourseMate Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's Introduction to Public Health Organizations, Management, and Policy CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Introduction to Public Health Organizations, Management, and Policy CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.