Request for consultation
Ideal for online or classroom teaching, MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONS, 8E simplifies the process of memorizing complex medical terminology by focusing on the important word parts—common prefixes, suffixes and root words—that provide a foundation for learning hundreds of medical terms. Organized by body systems, chapters follow a logical flow of information: an overview of the body system's structure and functions, a summary of applicable medical specialties, and then pathology, diagnostic, and treatment procedures. Core material for each body system is presented without interrupting exercises, enabling students to master the language necessary to describe how the body system works, what goes wrong with it, and how to treat it before putting these new skills into practice. Up-to-date illustrations reflect the latest terms and procedures, while multi-cultural/multi-generational photos accurately portray today's medical practice.
- Offering unique coverage of an increasingly important topic, the Eighth Edition includes an expanded section on complementary and alternative therapies that reflects the changing role of holistic health care in medical practice.
- Completely current, engaging artwork continues to feature multi-cultural and multi-generational photos.
- Thoroughly revised, the Eighth Edition brings all terms, definitions, procedures, illustrations, and data up to date—reflecting feedback from instructors using the text as well as the authors' own research.
- Two new authors bring additional expertise to the project. Laura Ehrlich, a Registered Nurse in the emergency department at Kaiser's South San Francisco Medical Center, excels at explaining medical terminology to patients and training nurses on new procedures and technology. Katrina Schroeder, a Registered Dietitian, works at Boston Children's Hospital, writes guides and blogs for the Center for Young Women's Health, and runs a small private practice in Brookline, Mass.
- In response to reviewer requests, the Eighth Edition also includes expanded coverage of dental terms.
- Equipping students with additional study tools, Removable Flashcards test memory and increase knowledge.
- The Comprehensive Medical Terminology Review includes study tips, practice exercises, and a simulated final test to help learners prepare for the final examination.
- An ideal solution for shorter courses, ESL learners, and high school courses, a Simplified Syllabus enables instructors to focus exercises, quizzes, and tests on the 60 terms in each chapter’s vocabulary list.
- Extensive support materials are available online for experienced and novice instructors alike.
- The proven combination of learning exercises that follows each chapter's text is designed to make teaching medical terminology easy by thoroughly engaging learners with a variety of formats, real-life medical scenarios, and critical thinking exercises.
- Text exercises emphasize writing out the correct answers, which reinforces students’ spelling skills as well as their understanding of the material.
- A convenient table of abbreviations is included at the end of every chapter, while resourceful appendices include a listing of abbreviations, a table of word parts and their meanings, and a glossary of pathology and procedures.
1. Introduction to Medical Terminology.
2. The Human Body in Health and Disease.
Word Part Review.
3. The Skeletal System.
4. The Muscular System.
5. The Cardiovascular System.
6. The Lymphatic and Immune Systems.
7. The Respiratory System.
8. The Digestive System.
9. The Urinary System.
10. The Nervous System and Mental Health.
11. Special Senses: The Eyes and Ears.
12. Skin: The Integumentary System.
13. The Endocrine System.
14. The Reproductive Systems.
15. Diagnostic Procedures, Nuclear Medicine, and Pharmacology.
Comprehensive Medical Terminology Review.
Appendix A: Word Parts.
Appendix B: Abbreviations.
Appendix C: Glossary of Pathology and Procedures.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access a test bank powered by Cognero®, Power Point® presentations, suggested answers to “Thinking It Through” and “Application Exercises,” and answers to review questions found in the textbook, answers to workbook exercises, and the Instructor’s Manual with suggestions for class activities and procedure check-off forms for evaluating skills.
Student Companion Website
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including Power Point® slides, animations and videos.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is design to provide students with additional practice. A variety of questions and exercises are included to help reinforce in different ways the material students have learned. Types of questions and exercises include defining terms, matching, identification, true/false, true/false rewrite, multiple choice, completion, ordering, and labeling. Additionally, each chapter includes two critical-thinking scenarios to encourage students to think about and apply concepts learned in the chapter. Procedure checklists are also included to help students assess their mastery of the basic hands-on skills included in the text.
The student workbook is design to provide you with additional practice. A variety of questions and exercises are included to help reinforce in different ways the material you have learned. Types of questions and exercises included in the workbook include defining terms, matching, identification, true/false, true/false rewrite, multiple choice, completion, ordering, and labeling. Additionally, each chapter includes two critical-thinking scenarios to encourage you to think about and apply concepts learned in the chapter. Procedure checklists are also included to help you assess your mastery of the basic hands-on skills included in the text.