Request for consultation
Give your students the text that makes algebra accessible and engaging—McKeague's INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA. Pat McKeague's passion for teaching mathematics is apparent on every page, and this Ninth Edition continues to provide students with a thorough grounding in the concepts central to their success in mathematics. Attention to detail, an exceptionally clear writing style, and continuous review and reinforcement are McKeague hallmarks that constitute the solid foundation of the text, while new pedagogy help students "bridge the concepts." These "bridges" guide students and help them make successful connections from concept to concept—and from this course to the next. INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA is one of the most current and reliable texts you will find for the course, and is ideally structured and organized for a lecture-format. Each section can be discussed in a 45- to 50-minute class session, allowing you to easily construct your course to fit your needs.
- NEW! "Your Ticket into Class" appears in each section to remind, or prompt, the student to do the reading before coming to class. With "Ticket" in hand, they are more likely to achieve success with the day's lesson.
- OBJECTIVES IN SECTIONS AND PROBLEM SETS. A major part of the revision of this text, Objectives are now used to separate topics within each section, allowing for more structure and a user-friendly organization within each section and its accompanying problem set.
- FUNCTIONS IN APPENDIX. Functions can be taught at the end of Chapter 3 or with Chapter 5. By placing these in the appendix, each instructor can choose how and when to introduce these topics or to leave them out altogether.
- INCREASED COVERAGE OF GRAPHING RATIONAL FUNCTIONS . As part of the increased emphasis and integration with functions, the coverage of graphing rational functions has been enhanced by additional examples and exercises in Chapter 6.
- MATRIX SOLUTIONS TO LINEAR SYSTEM . The revision of Chapter 4 Determinants and Cramer's Rule are now located in the Appendix, while a new section, Matrix Solutions to Linear Systems, has been added. Solving Linear Systems by matrix solutions is more in line with the demands of the market place.
- NEW! A "Moving Toward Success" feature appears in each chapter section's Problem Sets and poses 'study skills' in question form, encouraging the student to be an active participant in the learning process.
- A NEW INDEX OF APPLICATIONS. Students are always asking the question, '"When will I ever use this stuff?" The index of applications should help answer this question by pointing students to specific examples of algebra used in everyday settings.
- A NEW DESIGN AND NEW ART PROGRAM. The redesign of the Mckeague hardback series has been months in the making. By having the author work directly with the designs, great care has been taken to make these books function efficiently and having the important points emphasized in the design as well as the content.
- CUSTOM READY. By using the latest composition applications, McKeague can reorder topics at a customer's request in a matter of days, and sometimes only hours. Large adoptions from custom can match the style and design of the "regular" books without sacrificing page, chapter, or section numbering. The author team is also available for more detailed custom work involving new or rewritten topics.
- NEW CHAPTER TESTS. New to these editions, one-page Chapter Tests appear at the end of each chapter, letting students test their newly acquired knowledge and skills.
- NEW CUMULATIVE REVIEWS. New to this edition, one-page Cumulative Reviews appear at the end of each chapter starting in Chapter 2, allowing students to keep their skills sharp by reviewing previously taught material.
- MORE REAL DATA PROBLEMS WITH NEW ILLUSTRATIONS. Real data problems are usually accompanied by a new illustration in the problem sets. These problems use real data when possible and allow students to think critically when working these exercises.
- UPDATED APPLICATIONS. Under the heading "Applying the Concepts," applied problems have been added in various sections throughout the text and help students see how mathematical concepts are applied in real-world careers, such as nursing and technology.
- "BRIDGING" OF CONCEPTS. Intermediate Algebra, like all math courses, builds up cumulatively from concept to concept. However, many students encounter difficulty in making connections among mathematical concepts. Therefore, McKeague integrates new pedagogy to guide students as they discover relationships between concepts. This helps students master the cumulative concepts in the course while crossing the "bridge" into the next level of mathematics and other course work.
- REDESIGNED CHAPTER OPENERS draw students into the material by means of mathematical applications from daily life. By reinforcing the idea of a "bridge" to concepts, these openers show students that the concepts in the upcoming chapter fall in a natural order and, even more importantly, help the students to make the connection between the concepts.
- LINKED OBJECTIVES. Each section begins with a list of key concepts that will be covered. To reinforce these key concepts, students can match each objective with the corresponding example in the section. Linking objectives demystifies the mathematics and the structure of the textbook, thus creating a "bridge" to help students understand the relationship between learning objectives and each example in the section.
- MORE MID-LEVEL PROBLEMS IN EACH PROBLEM SET. 1,000 new problems in this edition! New midrange exercises put together more than one concept or technique in a new and slightly more challenging way. McKeague has reinforced this level of problems in this Ninth Edition with an eye toward offering more problems that get students thinking mathematically and working with algebra productively.
- GETTING READY FOR THE NEXT SECTION. Acquiring math skills may be cumulative, but students often have to be reminded of the cumulative nature of this course. To help students make the connection between concepts, McKeague created 1,000 new problems that "bridge" to the next section and prepare the students to move forward.
- BLUEPRINTS FOR PROBLEM SOLVING. The Blueprint offers a detailed outline of the steps needed to successfully attempt application problems. Intended as a guide to problem solving in general, the Blueprint overlays the solution process to all the application problems in the first few chapters of the book. As students become more familiar with problem solving, the steps in the Blueprint are streamlined. The "How to" and "Strategy" boxes reinforce problem solving by giving guidelines that are tailored to more specific situations.
- GETTING READY FOR CLASS. Located before each "Problem Set" are four "Getting Ready for Class" problems. Designed to be completed before attending class, these questions require written responses based on the content covered in the section. This prepares students for the upcoming lecture.
- CHAPTER SUMMARY. A comprehensive, point-by-point Chapter Summary lists all main concepts from the chapter. In the margin to the left of each topic being reviewed is an example that illustrates the type of problem associated with the topic. Students like this accessible organization and the additional examples. Very often, the chapter recaps are the first features that students will turn to during test preparation and other "teachable" moments.
- CHAPTER REVIEW TEST. Following the Chapter Summary an end-of-chapter Review Test contains an extensive set of problems that review all the main topics in the chapter. The Chapter Review Test can be used as homework or as in-class quizzes or examinations.
Fundamental Definitions and Notation. Sets. The Real Numbers. Simple and Compound Inequalities. Properties of Real Numbers. Arithmetic with Real Numbers. Recognizing Patterns.
2. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES IN ONE VARIABLE.
Linear Equations in One Variable. Formulas. Applications. Linear Inequalities in One Variable. Equations with Absolute Value. Inequalities Involving Absolute Value.
3. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES IN TWO VARIABLES.
Paired Data and the Rectangular Coordinate System. The Slope of a Line. The Equation of a Line. Linear Inequalities in Two Variables. Introduction to Functions. Function Notation. Algebra and Composition with Functions. Variation.
4. SYSTEMS OF LINEAR EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables. Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables. Applications of Linear Systems. Matrix Solutions to Linear Systems. Systems of Linear Inequalities.
5. EXPONENTS AND POLYNOMIALS.
Properties of Exponents. Polynomials, Sums, and Differences. Multiplication of Polynomials. The Greatest Common Factor and Factoring by Grouping. Factoring Trinomials. Special Factoring. Factoring: A General Review. Solving Equations by Factoring.
6. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Basic Properties and Reducing to Lower Terms. Division of Polynomials and Difference Quotients. Multiplication and Division of Rational Expressions. Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions. Complex Fractions. Equations and Graphs with Rational Functions. Applications.
7. RATIONAL EXPONENTS AND ROOTS.
Rational Exponents. More Expressions Involving Rational Exponents. Simplified Form for Radicals. Addition and Subtraction of Radical Expressions. Multiplication and Division of Radical Expressions. Equations with Radicals. Complex Numbers.
8. QUADRATIC FUNCTIONS.
Completing the Square. The Quadratic Formula. Additional Items Involving Solutions to Equations. Equations Quadratic in Form. Graphing Parabolas. Quadratic Inequalities.
9. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. The Inverse of a Function. Logarithms Are Exponents. Properties of Logarithms. Common Logarithms and Natural Logarithms. Exponential Equations and Change of Base.
10. CONIC SECTIONS.
The Circle. Ellipses and Hyperbolas. Second-Degree Inequalities and Nonlinear Systems.
11. SEQUENCE AND SERIES.
Sequences. Series. Arithmetic Sequences. Geometric Sequences. The Binomial Expansion.
B. Introduction to Determinants.
C. Cramer's Rule.
D. Synthetic Division.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Intermediate Algebra, 9th: PowerLecture CD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM (or DVD).
Intermediate Algebra, 9th: DVD Program
These text-specific DVD sets completed by Pat McKeague are available at no charge to qualified adopters of the text. They feature 10- to 20-minute problem-solving lessons that cover each section of every chapter.
Intermediate Algebra, 9th: Complete Solutions Manual
The Complete Solutions Manual provides worked-out solutions to all of the problems in the text.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
NEW! Get a head-start. The Student Workbook contains all of the assessments, activities, and worksheets from the Instructor's Resource Binder for classroom discussions, in-class activities, and group work.
Student Solutions Manual
Get the extra practice you need to succeed in your mathematics course with this hands-on Student Workbook. Designed to help you master the problem-solving skills and concepts presented in INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA, 9th Edition, this practical, easy-to-use workbook reinforces key concepts and promotes skill building.
Math CourseMate with eBook, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.