Request for consultation
This thorough and practical guide to teaching mathematics for grades K–6 is a perfect combination of a math methods text and resource book for pre-service and in-service elementary school teachers. The text's organization uses the Common Core State Standards as its overarching framework. Over 275 lesson activities reinforce the standards and include many examples of cooperative learning strategies, take-home activities, and activities using technology such as apps. Content chapters first "develop" a math topic, and then "extend" the same topic, providing foundational material that can be used throughout the elementary grades. Other useful features highlight misconceptions often held about math operations and concepts, ways to be inclusive of various cultural backgrounds, and key technology resources. The text is available with MindTap®, a customizable online learning experience that guides students to learn concepts and skills critical to becoming a great teacher.
- A revised structure aligns with the framework of the Common Core State Standards, which serve as organizing themes for the first seven chapters and provide structure for the content chapters (Chapters 9–19).
- Major sections in each chapter are now organized around specific learning objectives that students will attain by mastering the chapter content. The numbered objectives are listed at the beginning of each chapter and aligned with major sections and the chapter summary.
- Over 275 classroom-ready lesson activities are now linked to Common Core Content Standards and Mathematical Practices. New activities are included to illustrate how to use apps to support math understanding. All activities can be saved for later use with MindTap® Education.
- Over 275 classroom-ready lesson activities -- including cooperative learning strategies, take-home activities, and activities using technology such as apps -- are linked to Common Core Content Standards and Mathematical Practices.
- "Misconception" features throughout the content chapters highlight common misunderstandings children have about specific math operations and concepts. These features also help pre-teachers clarify and correct their own misconceptions.
- The chapter organization reinforces the structure of the Common Core. Within each content chapter, math topics are first "developed" and then "extended," beginning with foundational material that can be used throughout the elementary grades.
- Each content chapter includes "CLD Alerts," providing tips to help classroom teachers support culturally and linguistically diverse students.
1. Elementary Mathematics for the 21st Century.
2. Defining a Comprehensive Mathematics Program.
3. Mathematics for Every Child.
4. Learning Mathematics.
5. Organizing Effective Instruction.
6. Integrating Assessment.
Part II: MATHEMATICAL CONCEPTS, SKILLS, AND PROBLEM SOLVING.
7. Developing Problem-Solving Strategies.
8. Developing Concepts of Number.
9. Extending Number Concepts and Number Systems.
10. Developing Number Operations with Whole Numbers.
11. Extending Computational Fluency with Larger Numbers.
12. Developing Understanding of Common and Decimal Fractions.
13. Extending Understanding of Common and Decimal Fractions.
14. Developing Aspects of Proportional Reasoning: Ratio, Proportion, and Percent.
15. Thinking Algebraically.
16. Developing and Extending Geometric Concepts and Systems.
17. Developing and Extending Measurement Concepts.
18. Understanding and Representing Concepts of Data.
19. Investigating Probability.
Common Core Content Standards for Mathematics.
Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practices.
"This book presents standards-based, student-friendly, practitioner-focused instructional strategies, anchored in teaching mathematical concepts and mathematical reasoning."
"This is an excellent research-based text with multiple strategies for elementary mathematics curriculum from struggling to advanced students."
"It leads students on a pathway that is bound to turn students into expert math teachers for our children."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The accompanying online Instructor's Manual contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including sample syllabi, discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, field experiences, learning objectives, and additional online resources.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.