Request for consultation
Developed for beginning and intermediate-level courses, Graded Spanish Reader: Primera etapa features works by renowned Spanish and Latin American literary figures, including prominent women writers. Selections of fiction, poetry, and drama are supported by a comprehensive pre-reading and post-reading apparatus designed to engage students as readers, writers, and speakers of the Spanish language.
- Brief discussion of literary figures and tropes prepares students to understand the meaning and function of figurative language.
- Biographical sketches and cultural context provides students with a brief biography of each author, cultural and historical background, and a follow-up discussion that asks students to make connections with their own culture and personal experience.
- "Beyond the Text" sections (formerly "Expressing Your Ideas") includes a variety of discussion topics suitable for pair, small-group, or whole-class work. Part B of this section encourages students to search for related material online and to share their findings with their classmates.
- Streamlined vocabulary lists and pre-reading activities provide students with the necessary tools to read each selection with ease.
- Brief grammar review reinforces basic vocabulary, offers succinct explanations of the grammar used in the selections, and facilitates accuracy in oral and written activities through charts and tables.
- Reading comprehension support includes a variety of exercises in multiple-choice, true-false, or short-answer format to verify students' understanding of the essential details of the selection's content.
Mientras tú, Bessy Reyna
Peso ancestral, Alfonsina Storni
Hombre pequeñito, Alfonsina Storni
La perla de la mora, José Martí
El árabe hambriento, Juan Eugenio Hartzenbusch
Sensemayá, Nicolás Guillén
Balada de los dos abuelos, Nicolás Guillén
La United Fruit Co., Pablo Neruda
Me gustas cuando callas, Pablo Neruda
Poema XX, Pablo Neruda
Regresos, Meira Delmar
A su retrato, Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz
Autorretrato, Rosario Castellanos
Las medias de los flamencos, Horacio Quiroga
Un día de estos, Gabriel García Márquez
La prodigiosa tarde de, Gabriel García Márquez Baltazar
El ausente, Ana María Matute
Los fantoches, Carlos Solórzano
Primer encuentro, Álvaro Menén Desleal
Jaque mate en dos jugadas, W.I. Eise
Rosamunda, Carmen Laforet
Como agua para chocolate, Laura Esquivel (Capítulo 1)