Request for consultation
Reflecting Cengage Learning's commitment to offering flexible teaching solutions and value for students and instructors, this new hybrid edition features the instructional presentation found in the printed text while delivering end-of-section exercises online in Enhanced WebAssign. The result—a briefer printed text that engages students online! Instructors are loyal to Howard Rolf's text because teaching from it is easy. Why? Exercises at a variety of levels, flexible technology integration, and many interesting business applications make concepts relevant, clear, and easier to understand for students. The new edition of FINITE MATHEMATICS continues to rely on a rich array of examples and exercises and a student-friendly approach to illustrate the applications of mathematical concepts in analyzing and solving problems. Optional graphing calculator problems and Microsoft® Excel® applications are available for instructors who wish to bring technology into the course.
- The end-of-chapter review has been expanded to include Important Concepts. This new feature summarizes the key theorems, formulas, and equations from the chapter. Important Concepts together with Important Terms provides students with a comprehensive and useful tool for study and review.
- Updated problem sets include many new exercises that use real data with modern business applications, further reinforcing the relevance of this material to applied math students.
- The book's technology program has been expanded, offering more options to meet the expectations and needs of today's instructors and students. Enhanced WebAssign®, available with the text, includes an increased number of problems and supporting assets. In addition, the Rolf package now includes YouBook (an interactive eBook version of the text that instructors can customize), CourseMate, and a hybrid version of the text.
- Discussions and keystroke instructions in Using Excel have been updated to Excel 2007 and Excel 2010.
- Detailed computations enable students to easily follow successive steps in the problem-solving process.
- More than 3,200 exercises and 500 examples offer instructors and students with an abundance of homework and practice problems. Examples and exercises are cross-referenced, identifying for students a corresponding exercise to check their understanding after they read through an example and solution.
- Exercises are graded by level of difficulty: level 1 for routine problems, level 2 for elementary word problems, and level 3 for more thought-provoking problems.
- Discussion questions provide the option of using the graphing calculator or spreadsheet technology to solve the problem. "Explorations" encourage students to think more deeply about mathematical concepts, often providing an opportunity to use the graphing calculator. Many of these exercises may be used for group projects or writing assignments.
- References to technology keep the text current with new applications. "Using Your TI Graphing Calculator" and "Using Excel" boxes walk students through the steps necessary to apply the technology to selected exercises. Additional guidance on how to use the graphing calculator is found in an appendix.
Functions. Graphs and Lines. Mathematical Models and Applications of Linear Functions.
2. LINEAR SYSTEMS.
Systems of Two Equations. Systems with Three Variables: An Introduction to a Matrix Representation of a Linear System of Equations. Gauss-Jordan Method for General Systems of Equations. Matrix Operations. Multiplication of Matrices. The Inverse of a Matrix. Leontief Input-Output Model in Economics. Linear Regression.
3. LINEAR PROGRAMMING.
Linear Inequalities in Two Variables. Solutions of Systems of Inequalities: A Geometric Picture. Linear Programming: A Geometric Approach. Applications.
4. LINEAR PROGRAMMING: THE SIMPLEX METHOD.
Setting Up the Simplex Methods. The Simplex Method. The Standard Minimum Problem: Duality. Mixed Constraints. Multiple Solutions, Unbounded Solutions, and No Solutions. What's Happening in the Simplex Method? (Optional).
5. MATHEMATICS OF FINANCE.
Simple Interest. Compound Interest. Annuities and Sinking Funds. Present Value of an Annuity and Amortization.
6. SETS AND COUNTING.
Sets. Counting Elements in a Subset Using a Venn Diagram. Basic Counting Principles. Permutations. Combinations. A Mixture of Counting Problems. Partitions (Optional).
Introduction to Probability. Equally Likely Events. Compound Events: Union, Intersection, and Complement. Conditional Probability. Independent Events. Bayes' Rule. Markov Chains.
Frequency Distributions. Measures of Central Tendency. Measures of Dispersion: Range, Variance, and Standard Deviation. Random Variables and Probability Distributions of Discrete Random Variables. Expected Value of a Random Variable. Binomial Experiments and Binomial Distribution. Normal Distribution. Estimating Bounds on a Proportion.
9. GAME THEORY.
Two-Person Games. Mixed Strategy Games.
Statements. Conditional Statements. Equivalent Statements. Valid Arguments.
APPENDIX A: REVIEW TOPICS.
Properties of Real Numbers. Solving Linear Equations. Coordinate Systems. Linear Inequalities and Interval Notation.
APPENDIX B: USING A TI-83/84 GRAPHING CALCULATOR.
Notation. Arithmetic Operations. Graphing. Evaluating A Function. Finding the Intersection of Two Graphs. Constructing a Table. Matrices. Statistics.
APPENDIX C: USING EXCEL.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Complete Solutions Manual
Provides worked-out solutions to all of the problems in the text.
This CD-ROM provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching, including Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides, figures from the book, and the Test Bank. You can create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing, which includes Test Bank items in electronic format. In addition, you can easily build solution sets for homework or exams by linking to Solution Builder’s online solutions manual.
Student Solutions Manual
Provides worked-out solutions to the odd-numbered problems in the text.
Student Solutions Manual
Check your work--and your understanding--with this manual, which provides worked-out solutions to the odd-numbered problems in the text.