Request for consultation
Give your students a solid foundation in core accounting concepts while helping learners develop a true appreciation for why accounting is important to business and a prosperous society. Warren/Reeve/Duchac’s FINANCIAL AND MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING, 14E with CengageNOWv2™ clearly demonstrates how accounting is much more than simply data and black and white rules. Instead, students see how accounting provides key information used to make critical business decisions. A new chapter schema provides context for how each chapter’s content fits into the big picture. The book focuses on why accounting is important and consistently reinforces connections to the big picture throughout the text and CengageNOWv2™ by connecting journal entries to the accounting equation. Fresh organization progresses from the simplest to the more complex topics with reorganized and fully integrated coverage of the new Revenue Recognition standard, reorganized coverage of adjustments, and reorganized managerial accounting chapters.
- UP-TO-DATE CONTENT REFLECTS THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN THE FIELD. The authors carefully review each chapter in every new edition to ensure the latest updates, such as new FASB standards and new or emerging developments in managerial accounting. The authors have updated this edition's coverage of revenue recognition and integrated the content with the chapter illustration of NetSolutions. In addition, a new managerial section on sustainability has been incorporated. All chapters are reviewed by Subject Matter Experts to further ensure the latest information is incorporated.
- REVISED END-OF-CHAPTER ASSIGNMENTS PROVIDE IMPORTANT HANDS-ON PRACTICE. Refined, meaningful review and applications at the end of each chapter include Discussion Questions, Basic Exercises, Exercises, Problems (Series A and B), Analysis for Decision Making, and Take It Further exercises.
- NEW GRAPHIC SCHEMAS PROVIDE A ROADMAP OF ACCOUNTING THAT EMPHASIZES RELEVANCE AND BIG-PICTURE CONTEXT. Each chapter starts with a graphic schema that provides a “you are here” map to help students navigate course content. The schema shows how the concept the student is about to learn connects ot the larger business and accounting picture. Financial and managerial sections use separate schemas. A four-part schema (Chs. 1-4) demonstrates how chapter content integrates within the accounting cycle. The financial accounting schema (Chs. 5-17) highlights chapter content within a set of integrated financial statements. A separate managerial accounting schema (Chs. 18-26) shows how chapter content integrates within the managerial accounting functions.
- NEW JOURNAL ENTRY FORMAT AIDS STUDENT COMPREHENSION: To demonstrate the impact of the transaction on the business, each journal entry includes the net effect of the transaction on the accounting equation. This link between the journal entry and the accounting equation is also emphasized in the accompanying CengageNOW™v2 product as a new journal entry tool illustrates the impact of the transaction on the accounting equation.
- NEW ANALYSIS FOR DECISION MAKING SECTIONS PUT PROCEDURES INTO CONTEXT. Each chapter ends with a new section that uses real company illustrations to emphasize how businesses use accounting information to make decisions or evaluate the health of the company. Readers gain an understanding of how chapter content fits within extended business settings, such as franchising and sustainability activities. Related Analysis for Decision Making assignments allow students to improve analytical skills using real world company data.
- NEW “WHY IT MATTERS” CONCEPTCLIPS IN CENGAGENOWV2 EXPOSE STUDENTS TO WHY ACCOUNTING MATTERS. Brief captivating video clips that expose students to why the concept is important and how the concept is used in the real world. This is especially helpful information for students who are not accounting majors. ConceptClips are assignable and gradable in CengageNOWv2.
- NEW "WHY IT MATTERS" FEATURES HIGHLIGHT HOW ACCOUNTING IMPACTS BUSINESS SUCCESS: New "Why It Matters" features help students connect accounting information with its larger application to business decisions. These features use memorable examples from real companies to illustrate why accounting is so important. This is especially helpful information for students who are not accounting majors.
- NEW "CHECK UP CORNER" OFFERS ADDITIONAL VISUAL EXPLANATIONS. To aid learning and encourage problem solving, "Check Up Corner" features provides an illustrated overview with call-out explanations for key topics or more challenging concepts. The call-outs further detail the steps in developing the solution. This feature helps students improve problem-solving skills with a hands-on, effective tool for reviewing and reinforcing what they have read.
- NEW "LET'S REVIEW" HELPs STUDENTS PREPARE FOR EXAMS: These new end-of-chapter features assist busy, distracted students in reviewing and studying for exams. Each "Let's Review" includes a summary of the chapter, multiple-choice questions, exercises, and a sample problem for students to practice and test themselves. Clear solutions are provided for all practice items. "Show Me How" problem demonstration videos and additional algorithmic practice opportunities are available within CengageNOW™v2 for the Exercises in the "Let's Review" Sections.
- NEW ENHANCED REAL COMPANY INTEGRATION EMPHASIZES THE IMPORTANCE OF CONCEPTS IN BUSINESS: Each opener provides a brief description of a real company and demonstrates how it relates to the chapter content. New corresponding "Link to" features throughout the chapter revisit the company to clearly demonstrate how the chapter's concepts consistently apply to this real world business
- CengageNOWv2 better prepares students for the exam by providing an online homework experience that is similar to what students will experience on the exam and in the real-world. Compelling content at each stage of the learning process improves student learning outcomes. CengageNOWv2 offers pre-class activities, practice opportunities that prepare students for exams, and innovative tools that help students master course content.
- AUTHOR WRITTEN END-OF-CHAPTER MATERIALS PROVIDE AN ACCURACY YOU AND YOUR STUDENTS CAN TRUST. The authors apply their vast experience to develop and revise this edition’s end-of-chapter materials. In addition, all end-of-chapter content is verified by dedicated Subject Matter Experts.
- SIMPLE-TO-COMPLEX PEDAGOGY ENSURES STUDENT COMPREHENSION. Experienced authors use their own knowledge and input from leading accounting faculty to present a proven simple-to-complex pedagogy that facilitates student learning as they progress through the text. This edition’s Chapter 3, The Adjusting Process, is now revised to reflect this pedagogy.
- ACCOUNTING EQUATIONS IN THE MARGIN CORRELATE TO SPECIFIC SECTIONS OF CHAPTER CONTENT. For each journal entry within a chapter, the accounting equation’s impact, positive or negative, on assets, liabilities, and stockholders’ equity appears in the margin.
- PRESENTATION STYLE APPEALS TO CONTEMPORARY LEARNERS: Built for today's students, the Warren/Reeve/Duchac presentation style provides content in a way that reflects how the current generation of students read and assimilate information. The authors use short/concise paragraphs and bullets, stepwise progression, and meaningful Illustrations and graphs to engage students and ensure retention.
- "SHOW ME HOW" VIDEOS IN CENGAGENOW™V2 CLARIFY PROCESSES: Created for the most frequently assigned end-of-chapter items, hundreds of "Show Me How" problem demonstrations provide a step-by-step model of a similar problem. Embedded tips and warnings help students avoid common mistakes and pitfalls, keeping them on track and reducing frustration. Identified by an icon in the text margins, "Show Me How" videos correspond to specific assignments in CengageNOW™v2 and offer ideal opportunities for self-study and review.
- "DYNAMIC EXHIBITS" IN CENGAGENOW™V2 DEMONSTRATE ACCOUNTING IN ACTION. These unique, interactive exhibits allow students to change variables in a scenario and see how a change ripples through the accounting system. Students see connections and relationships like never before. Clearly identified by icons in the text, Dynamic Exhibits are embedded within the eReader in CengageNOW™v2. They are assignable and gradable in CengageNOW™v2 and offer valuable tools for students to study and review.
- "WHAT’S COVERED" SECTIONS HELP CLARIFY TOPICS. These sections give students an overview of the topics and learning objectives while integrating the objectives with the chapter’s topics.
- EMPHASIS ON ETHICS FOCUSES ON PRACTICAL APPROACH. Actual ethical situations related to the chapter’s topics are integrated throughout each chapter. In some features, called Ethics: Do It, the situation illustrates a positive ethical response. In other features, called Ethics: Don’t Do It, the situation demonstrates a negative ethical response.
2. Analyzing Transactions.
3. The Adjusting Process.
4. Completing the Accounting Cycle.
5. Accounting for Merchandising Businesses.
7. Internal Control and Cash.
9. Long-Term Assets: Fixed and Intangible.
10. Liabilities: Current, Installment Notes, and Contingencies
11. Liabilities: Bonds Payable.
12. Corporations: Organization, Stock Transactions, and Dividends.
13. Statement of Cash Flows.
14. Financial Statement Analysis.
15. Introduction to Managerial Accounting.
16. Job Order Costing.
17. Process Costing Systems.
18. Activity-Based Costing.
19. Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis.
20. Variable Costing for Management Analysis.
22. Evaluating Variances from Standard Costs.
23. Evaluating Decentralized Operations.
24. Differential Analysis and Product Pricing.
25. Capital Investment Analysis.
26. Lean Manufacturing and Activity Analysis.
Appendix A: Interest Tables.
Appendix B: Revenue Recognition
Appendix C: International Financial Reporting Standards.
Appendix D: Investments.
Appendix E: Nike Inc., Form 10-K for the Fiscal Year Ended May 31, 2015.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This robust companion website provides immediate access to a rich array of teaching and learning resources -- including the Instructor’s Manual, Solutions Manual, PowerPoint® slides, Study Guide and Solutions, Excel Templates and Solutions, Practice Set Solutions, and Transparency Masters and Handouts (with solutions). Easily download the instructor resources you need from the password-protected, instructor-only section of the website.
Working Papers, Volume 2, Chapters 15-26
These working papers provide students with a starting point for completing end-of-chapter assignments from the textbook.
Solutions Manual, Volume 2, Chapters 15-26
Author-written and carefully verified multiple times to ensure accuracy and consistency with this edition of the text, the Solutions Manual contains answers to the Discussion Questions, Basic Exercises, Exercises, Problems (Series A and Series B), and Cases that appear in each chapter. Solutions for the Comprehensive Problems are also included. These solutions help you easily plan, assign, and grade assignments. The Solutions Manual is also available on the password-protected instructor website.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant, export tests as Word files, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
These working papers provide students with a starting point for completing end-of-chapter assignments from the textbook.
Solutions Manual, Volume 1, Chapters 1-14
Author-written and carefully verified multiple times to ensure accuracy and consistency with the text, the Solutions Manual contains answers to the Discussion Questions, Basic Exercises, Exercises, Problems (Series A and Series B), Analysis for Decision Making, and Take It Further assignments that appear in each chapter. Solutions for the Continuing Problem and Comprehensive Problems are also included. These solutions help you easily plan, assign and efficiently grade assignments. For your convenience, the Solutions Manual is also available on the password-protected instructor website.
Master the procedures and concepts of accounting and earn the grade you want in your accounting course with the rich array of learning resources at the companion website. Designed specifically for your accounting needs, this website features student PowerPoint® slides, Excel Templates, and Study Guide and solutions.
Working Papers, Volume 2, Chapters 15-26
You’ll find the tools you need to help work through end-of-chapter assignments with these working papers. The preformatted files provide a starting point by giving you a basic structure for journal entries and problems.
Fit and Fashionable Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger Software, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set is a merchandising business operated as a proprietorship. This business is a retail and wholesale seller of fitness equipment and apparel. This set includes a general journal and special journals: sales journal, purchases journal, cash receipts journal, and cash payments journal. It also includes sub- and general ledgers, a checkbook register, and source documents. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 14-15 hours.
Hydro Paddle Boards Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set is for a manufacturing business operated as a corporation. The corporation designs and manufactures custom paddle boards and uses a job-order cost system. This set includes subsidiary ledgers, a schedule of employer payroll taxes, a schedule of unfinished goods, and job cost records. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 13-15 hours.
JP's Tech Solutions with Cengage Learning General Ledger, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set covers the complete accounting cycle for a retail merchandising and service business operated as a small corporation. It includes a narrative of transactions, which are to be recorded in special journals. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 15-16 hours.
Lawn Ranger Landscaping Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger Software, 2 term (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set covers the complete accounting cycle for a small service business operated as a proprietorship. You will follow a narrative of transactions and instructions for an optional solution with no debits and credits. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 15-16 hours.
My Place: House of Décor Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set is based on a service and merchandising business operated as a corporation. My Place: House of Décor is an interior design firm that provides services to clients for the first months, and then adds a new component to the business for the last months -- purchasing and selling antique furniture. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 15-17 hours.
Chic Events by Jada Practice Set with Cengage Learning General Ledger Software, 2 terms (12 months) Printed Access Card
This practice set includes payroll transactions and purchases and sales for a merchandising business operated as a proprietorship. It includes business documents for a company that plans weddings, anniversaries, birthday parties, and corporate events, as well as selling party supplies. This set can be solved manually or with the General Ledger software. The estimated time to complete this practice set is 12-15 hours.
You'll find the valuable tools you need to help work through end-of-chapter assignments with these working papers. The preformatted files provide a starting point by giving you a basic structure for journal entries and problems.