Request for consultation
Provide your students with a superior discussion of the primary and secondary sources of tax law and offer hands-on tax research practice with FEDERAL TAX RESEARCH, 11E. This edition uses the latest versions of the most widely used online tax research tools, such as Thomson Reuters Checkpoint, CCH IntelliConnect, and BNA Bloomberg. A new searchable Research Case Matrix makes it easier for you to easily select and integrate proven research cases into your course. In addition, new research cases provide more variety and the opportunity to assign cases that are more realistic and less "black and white," to challenge your students’ thinking. Significant updates address recent revisions to Circular 230 and ethical requirements related to tax practice as well as new rules regarding the IRS audit process with expanded discussion that details how to work most effectively with the IRS.
- SEARCHABLE DATABASE OF RESEARCH CASES PROVIDES SEAMLESS FLEXIBILITY. With this handy resource, you can assign cases that meet your specific student or course needs.
- UPDATES ADDRESS CIRCULAR 230 AND THE REVISED AICPA CODE OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT. Students learn the latest rules governing practices related to the IRS.
- UPDATES CLARIFY THE IRS APPEALS PROCESS. Students learn the details of effective IRS appeals today.
- EXTENDED DISCUSSIONS FURTHER CLARIFIES STATUTES OF LIMITATIONS. Readers study the IRS’ statutes of limitations on tax returns.
- MORE TAX RESEARCH CASES CHALLENGE STUDENTS TO THINK CRITICALLY. This edition offers additional, thought-provoking cases that deal with more ambiguous areas of the law.
- MORE EXAMPLES GUIDE STUDENTS IN DEVELOPING PROFESSIONAL WRITTEN COMMUNICATION. Additional, effective examples of written file memos and client letters throughout this edition help students refine their own professional communication.
- UPDATED SCREEN CAPTURES AND DEMONSTRATIONS FAMILIARIZE STUDENTS WITH LEADING ONLINE TOOLS. This edition prepares students to work successfully with some of today’ most widely used online tax research tools, such as Thomson Reuters Checkpoint, CCH IntelliConnect, and BNA Bloomberg.
- UPDATES PREPARE STUDENTS TO WORK ACROSS STATES OR COUNTRIES. New content further clarifies multistate and international tax laws.
- UPDATES ADDRESS LATEST CHANGES TO FASB ACCOUNTING STANDARDS. This edition’s financial accounting research section captures the Codification ASC 740 on Accounting for Income Taxes.
- BOOK OFFERS UNPRECEDENTED DEGREE OF HANDS-ON TAX RESEARCH ANALYSIS. This edition’s proven, hands-on approach focuses on active learning and real-world experiences to prepare your students for professional success.
- UP-TO-DATE COVERAGE HIGHLIGHTS ONLINE RESEARCH SKILLS. Students learn to most effectively use today’s leading online tools with this edition’s in-depth focus on RIA Checkpoint and CCH IntelliConnect.
- SUPERIOR USE OF SCREEN CAPTURES AND TUTORIALS MAKES IT EASIER TO PRESENT TODAY’S RESEARCH TOOLS. With this edition’s clear presentation, your students efficiently learn how to maximize the research tools available to them.
- SEARCHABLE DATABASE OF RESEARCH CASES ENSURES IT IS SIMPLE TO SELECT THE BEST CASES FOR YOUR COURSE. This helpful, detailed database helps you, as instructor, locate and assign cases that meet your specific needs.
1. Introduction to Tax Practice and Ethics.
2. Tax Research Methodology.
Part II: PRIMARY SOURCES OF FEDERAL TAX LAW.
3. Constitutional and Legislative Sources.
4. Administrative Regulations and Rulings.
5. Judicial Interpretations.
Part III: RESEARCH TOOLS.
6. Tax Services RIA Checkpoint.
7. Tax Services CCH Intelliconnect.
8. Tax Services Specialty and Others.
9. Multijurisdictional and Other Research.
10. Financial Accounting Research.
Part IV: IMPLEMENTING THE RESEARCH TOOLS.
11. Communicating Research Results.
12. Tax Planning.
13. Working with the IRS.
14. Tax Practice and Administration: Sanctions, Agreements, and Disclosures.
“This is a well-organized and very useful textbook. I've used it for teaching current tax professionals when at GGU …and now [I use it for] graduate students who most[ly] are just entering their accounting/tax careers. …The text provides the strong foundation from which to expand the class from.”
“Great textbook. …”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Website
This helpful website presents all of the tools you need at your fingertips, including the Instructor Manual, Solutions Manual, PowerPoint® slides, access to the Cognero® test bank, the Case Matrix, and Alternative Formats for File Memo
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.