Request for consultation
EVERYDAY MORALITY brings ethics to bear on a wide array of everyday practical concerns. Written in a clear and engaging way and rich in practical illustrations and applications, the book takes up both standard topics such as abortion and euthanasia, but also a wide array of often neglected topics such as self-respect, self-deception, addictions, money, and community service. EVERDAY MORALITY, above all, will help you students gain a critical outlook with respect to the effects of moral character that permeate everyday life: virtues and vices, commitments and attitudes, personal relationships and community involvement, right and wrong conduct.
- This book is now supported by two new technologies. When adopted along with the book, TurnItIn offers an efficient way of preventing plagiarism in student papers, while JoinIn, an interactive classroom response system, offers instructors a way of quickly garnering students' positions on a number of ethical concerns and will keep students in even the largest ethics classes engaged in lectures.
- While several chapters have received substantial rewriting and updating�namely, the chapters on money, work, and community service�this edition also includes two entirely new chapters: Chapter 12, "Terrorism and Evil," and Chapter 24, "Computers and Community."
- Every chapter ends with a summary, an interdisciplinary bibliography, and a detailed set of Discussion Topics to aid student comprehension of the most key points they encounter in the text.
Part One: CHARACTER AND CONDUCT.
1. Morality and Self-Interest.
2. Theories of Right Action.
3. Theories of Virtue.
Part Two: MULTICULTURAL ETHICS.
4. Diversity and Relativism.
5. Religious Ethics.
7. Race and Ethnic Identity.
Part Three: LIFE AND DEATH.
9. Suicide and Euthanasia.
12. Terrorism and Evil.
Part Four: MORAL AUTONOMY AND MENTAL HEALTH.
14. Self-Knowledge and Self-Deception.
15. Self-Control and Courage.
16. The Therapeutic Trend.
17. Drug Abuse.
Part Five: SEXUAL MORALITY.
18. Sex and Love.
19. Homosexuality and Homophobia.
20. Pornography and Fantasy.
21. Marriage and Adultery.
Part Six: COMMUNITY AND WEALTH.
23. Meaningful Work.
24. Computers and Community.
25. Community Service.