Request for consultation
Brief and affordable, Bailey and Peoples' ESSENTIALS OF CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY, 3rd Edition provides a practical option for instructors who wish to use a core text along with supplemental materials such as readers and ethnographies. This text offers the same rich characteristics that have made the author team's more comprehensive text so successful over the years: strong scholarship, rich ethnographic examples, and a unique focus on modern ethnicity and the survival of indigenous peoples. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- The most pervasive revision to the third edition is enhanced and updated discussion in every chapter of globalization and the changes resulting from it. A new Chapter 4, "Culture and Globalization," focuses in particular on the historical processes that produced the global system as we know and live it today.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- To make room for the enhanced discussion of globalization, the previous edition's Chapter 11 on art and aesthetics has been removed.
- New introductory vignettes in many chapters engage students in the material and show cultural anthropology's relevance in the world today.
- Examples drawn from recent research and findings, as well as new statistical and other numerical data in all chapters, ensure that the content is accurate and up-to-date.
- The narrative has been honed and streamlined throughout to ensure that it appropriately and lucidly covers the "core" of cultural anthropology--and that students will leave the course with a good understanding of the discipline's essential concepts and research findings.
- Brief in content to fit your course needs, ESSENTIALS OF CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY covers the topics most professional anthropologists believe are the core subjects, concepts, approaches, methods, and facts and findings of their field. In addition to introducing students to the remarkable cultural diversity of humankind, the authors aim to provide anthropological insights on the past and present effects of globalization on the world's peoples and prospects.
- The text offers several features that help students gain a clear understanding of chapter material. These include topical outlines; specific learning objectives that are listed and numbered; key terms, which are in bold type at their first mention, defined in a small insert on the page, and listed at the end of each chapter; chapter summaries organized by learning objectives; and notes on the sources from which information in the chapter is drawn.
- Key ideas and concepts are presented clearly, and interesting ethnographic examples are interspersed throughout the material, making it easy for students to gain a true understanding of diverse people and cultures.
3. Culture and Language.
4. Culture and Globalization.
5. Studying Cultures.
6. Environments and Cultures.
7. Exchange and Economic Systems.
8. Marriage, Family, and Kinship.
10. Ethnicity and Social Inequality.
11. Politics and Law.
12. Religion and World View.
13. Globalization and Indigenous Peoples.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
This supplement offers the instructor learning objectives, a chapter summary, suggested supplementary lecture topics, discussion questions, film and video resources, and Internet exercises for each chapter. The test bank consists of 20-25 multiple-choice and 15-20 true/false questions with answers, page references, and a corresponding learning objective. There are also essay questions for each chapter. Also included are a list of suggested ethnographic studies to accompany the text and a video/film resources section with ordering information.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
Online PowerPoint® Slides for Bailey/Peoples' ESSENTIALS OF CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY, 3rd Edition INSTRUCTOR DESCRIPTION: Prepare for lectures efficiently with these chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides, which incorporate outside examples as well as quiz questions. Available on the instructor companion website.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes for less than the price of a used book--online with Anthropology CourseMate.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.