Request for consultation
With an emphasis on the three major stages of interviewing: exploration, clarification, and action, ESSENTIAL INTERVIEWING offers students the same programmed-learning model of interviewing that has successfully trained countless members of the helping professions for nearly 30 years. Based on Ivey's systematic method of interviewer, counselor, and therapist training, as well as Hearn's programmed-learning model, the text makes interview skills clear and specific and exposes students to a variety of client situations and cultures. The authors give students the tools they need to conduct successful interviews with diverse clients in a variety of professional settings, including social work, counseling, nursing, personnel work, and human services. Each chapter highlights an ethical situation students may confront in their future professional lives.
- Expanded coverage of ethics in each chapter helps to introduce students to ethical dilemmas and ground them in the most current standards of ethical practice.
- Activity Units at the end of every chapter provide a greater number of demonstrations of working with multicultural clients, helping to prepare students to conduct successful interviews with the diverse populations they will undoubtedly serve in their professional lives.
- Chapter 13, "Enlisting Cooperation," now provides a section on the interviewing of adolescents.
- The examples of words that express feelings (provided in Chapter 5) have been reviewed and extended.
- Chapter objectives have been rewritten to allow for their measurement.
- Where appropriate, Practice Interview Checklists have been reviewed and simplified.
- Based on reviewer feedback, the examples in the text have been broadened so students throughout the helping professions will find them to be more relevant to their practice goals.
- Readers actively participate in clients' stories through engaging narratives. The book presents three possible responses to a client's statement or question -- one of which is more appropriate than the others -- to give students practice developing effective reactions to common situations. This approach exemplifies the programmed-learning structure of the text.
- Review Questions appear in each chapter after the teaching frame/interview segments. If readers get three or more answers wrong in this review section, they are encouraged to work through the chapter again. New frames and new questions have been added to this edition.
- Activity Units, including practice interview checklists and "Points to Remember" sections, appear in each chapter. Cultural examples and ethical scenarios round out the chapters.
Stage I: LISTENING AND EXPLORATION: HELPING CLIENTS IDENTIFY THEIR EXPERIENCES, ISSUES, AND PROBLEMS
2. Attending Behavior.
4. Reflecting Content.
5. Reflecting Feeling.
6. Integrating Your Listening and Exploration Skills.
Stage II: CLARIFICATION: HELPING CLIENTS TO CLARIFY THEIR EXPERIENCES AND DEVELOP GOALS.
8. Communicating Feeling and Immediacy.
Stage III: ACTION: HELPING CLIENTS TO TAKE ACTION.
11. Information Giving.
12. Structuring for Exploration, Clarification, and Action.
13. Enlisting Cooperation.
Stage IV: EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION: FACILITATING CLARIFICATION, EXPLORATION, AND ACTION.
14. Putting It All Together.
"A great book, one that I have been in search of for ten years."
"I have previously reviewed this text, and it only gets better! It is invaluable in providing my students with much needed practice in the actual mechanics of what to say."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The Instructor's Manual (IM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Online Test Bank
For assessment support, the updated test bank includes true/false, multiple-choice, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using content directly from the textbook.