Request for consultation
DRAFTING AND DESIGN FOR ARCHITECTURE AND CONSTRUCTION, 9th edition presents architectural drafting and design concepts as practiced by professional architects. With an emphasis on environmental safety, protective measures, expanded coverage of construction design and drawings and chapter objectives, students are able to hone the necessary skills to create a complete set of drawing plans. Abundant appendices provide important reference material, career information, mathematical calculations, standard abbreviations and synonyms. Exciting new material on design principles and procedures along with new entries on smart homes, smart growth, recreational facilities, building information modeling, site planning, ecology, energy conservation, efficiency and sustainability has been added. In addition, Computer-Aided Design (CAD) coverage in an introductory chapter, along with a series of applications throughout, provide examples of how CAD is used to perform specific architectural drafting functions.
- Emphasis on environmental safety and protective measures within the realm of architectural design.
- Expanded coverage of construction systems design and drawings.
- Added material on design principles and procedures (needed to provide students with the ability to actually design a structure – not just use CAD defaults).
- NEW coverage of the following "hot topics": Smart Homes, Smart Growth, Recreational facilities, Building information modeling, Site plan ecology, Energy conservation, efficiency and sustainability, Leeds.
- Introductory CAD chapter, a series of CAD inserts throughout the entire text provides examples of CAD to perform specific architectural drafting functions.
- Logical structure for understanding architectural drafting and design concepts.
- Chapter objectives and key terms are listed and defined in the chapter.
- End of chapter exercises help the reader to hone skills necessary to create a complete set of drawing plans.
- Abundant appendices provide important reference material.
- Career information, mathematical calculations, standard abbreviations and synonyms are covered.
1. Architectural History and Styles.
2. Fundamentals of Design.
PART II: ARCHITECTURAL DRAFTING FUNDAMENTALS.
3. Scales and Measurements.
4. Conventions and Procedures.
5. Introduction to Computer-Aided Drafting Design.
Part III Basic Area Design.
6. Environmental Design Factors.
7. Indoor Living Areas.
8. Outdoor Living Areas.
9. Traffic Areas and Patterns.
11. General Service Areas.
12. Sleeping Areas.
PART IV: BASIC ARCHITECTURAL DRAWINGS.
13. Site Development Plans.
14. Designing Floor Plans.
15. Drawing Floor Plans.
16. Designing Elevations.
17. Drawing Elevations.
18. Sectional, Detail, and Cabinetry Drawings.
PART V: PRESENTATION METHODS
19. Pictorial Drawings.
20. Architectural Renderings.
21. Architectural Models.
PART VI: FOUNDATIONS AND CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS.
22. Principles of Construction.
23. Foundations and Fireplace Structures.
24. Wood-Frame Systems.
25. Masonry and Concrete Systems.
26. Steel and Reinforced-Concrete Systems.
27. Disaster Prevention Design.
PART VII: FRAMING SYSTEMS
28. Floor Framing Drawings.
29. Wall Framing Drawings.
30. Roof Framing Drawings.
PART VIII: ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL DESIGN DRAWINGS.
31. Electrical Design and Drawing.
32. Comfort Control Systems (HVAC).
33. Plumbing Drawings.
PART IX: DRAWING MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT SERVICES.
34. Drawing Management.
35. Schedules and Specifications.
36. Building Costs and Financial Planning.
37. Codes and Legal Documents.
Appendix A: Careers in Architecture and Related Fields.
Appendix B: Mathematical Calculations.
Appendix C: Architectural Abbreviations and Professional Organizations.
Appendix D: Architectural Synonyms.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Resources provides teaching tips or guidelines, essay questions, answers to review and test questions, key objectives, glossary, appendices and exercises for content reinforcement.
Student Solutions Manual
The Solutions Manual contains worked solutions to problems included in the text.
The student workbook is design to help the user retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions, key term definition queries, multiple choice, fill in the blank and true or false problems.
The student workbook is design to help you retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions, key term definition queries, multiple choice, fill in the blank and true or false problems.