Request for consultation
DISCOVERING THE INTERNET: BRIEF, Fifth Edition provides a hands-on introduction to the latest Internet concepts and skills to help students become digitally literate computer users. Societal coverage makes this book unique, and with content on e-business, social media, and technologies of the Internet, students will receive both basic and technical coverage of Internet concepts and skills.
- Screenshots, concepts, and hands-on exercises within the chapter have been made to be more device- and platform-independent to appear to a wide audience of students.
- New to this edition, the end-of-chapter exercises are device- and platform-independent, and are categorized into key critical thinking areas, such as Trends and Research.
- Many marginal elements include search terms to encourage students to research further to expand on concepts and find the latest about Internet tools and trends.
- Additional topics include: VoIP, video calling, data caps, mobile hotspots, sharing information and webpages using connectivity tools, managing plug-ins and add-ons, Big Data, electronic profiles, Internet communications tools (FaceTime, Skype, texting), social research tools, mobile and third-party payment websites and apps, mobile security threats, and Consumer to Consumer e-business.
- Offers extensive hands-on activities throughout the text that allow students to explore and apply the concepts taught in the book.
- Increased focus on providing students with research skills, including suggestions for search topics to expand on concepts or find the most recent information about a topic.
- Reinforces Internet concepts and skills with comprehensive end-of-chapter exercises that require critical thinking. New to this edition, the end-of-chapter exercises are device- and platform-independent, and are categorized into key critical thinking areas, such as Trends and Research.
- Revised to make concepts and activities device- and platform-independent to be accessible to all students.
- Contains seven chapters and one appendix that provide thorough coverage of the Internet and the World Wide Web.
- Provides a broad understanding of the most up-to-date functions, Internet resources, and topics such as SEO, RWD, connectivity, social media, communication tools, and RSS.
- Security topics include Big Data, monitoring your electronic profile, privacy, risks, and safeguards.
- Researching the Internet coverage includes evaluating sources, respecting copyrights, and identifying fair use materials.
2. Browsing the Web.
3. Searching the Web.
4. Communicating Online.
5. Getting More Out of the Internet.
6. Understanding Internet Technologies and Security.
7. Understanding E-Business.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Web Site
Go beyond the book with Instructor Resources to help you make the most of your classroom and lessons. Here you will find additional information on how to use our text as well as teaching and testing aids. This IR will include Chapter Reinforcement Exercises and Data Files for students, Figure Files, Instructor's Manual, PowerPoint Presentations, Solutions to Exercises, Syllabus, and ExamView test banks.