Request for consultation
Widely utilized and reliable, Phinney and Halstead’s DENTAL ASSISTING: A COMPREHENSIVE APPROACH, 5th Edition, offers an all-in-one resource for dental assistants in training. Chapters cover all the basic and advanced clinical skills students need to master, along with updated information on key dental practices and procedures, equipment, patient and employee safety standards, and more, to position them for success starting on day one of their careers. A complete learning system, skills-based exercises, alongside thoughtful in-text features such as key terms in context, step-by-step instructions, color photos and drawings, critical-thinking case studies, and many Q & A and self-study opportunities. Rounding out this text, a robust package of supplemental materials offers flexible options for every learning type with a student workbook, an interactive eBook and apps, as well as the MindTap® digital platform, which streamlines and personalizes learning through multimedia and interactive tools. And, of course, instructors receive the ongoing support and commitment of Cengage Learning, making DENTAL ASSISTING: A COMPREHENSIVE APPROACH, 5th Edition an unbeatable resource for preparing tomorrow’s dental assistants with confidence.
- Added Content: Added material and discussions help your students grasp the latest concepts in dental assisting, including conflict resolution, emotional abuse, domestic violence, dental lasers, CAD/CAM technology, and digital radiology.
- Critical Updates: Chapters offer detailed industry updates in areas central to dental assisting, such as nutrition and dietary guidelines, viruses of concern, public health and safety agencies such as NIOSH and the NIH, SDS forms, disinfecting materials, waterline testing and treatments, meeting needs of special populations, and the digital office.
- Improved Expanded Functions: Broken out by topic for better readability, new information and chapters on Expanded Functions dental assisting and its regulations helps readers understand this specialized role in dental practices.
- Enlightened Terms: Listed at the start of each chapter, key terms include page numbers for locating terms in the chapters to provide meaningful context to the concepts. The book’s glossary also includes full definitions of every term.
- Pronounced Words: A helpful pronunciation guide sounds out complex and clinical terms the first time each appears in the text.
- Recapped Points: Chapter summaries hone in on key ideas, highlighting critical take-always from the readings, to keep studies focused and productive.
- Review Practice: Multiple-choice questions in every chapter help students drill down into topics and test their knowledge, while open-ended questions allow them to blend chapter material with their own personal insights and judgment.
- Web Exploration: Internet exercises in each chapter encourage readers to search the Web for even more information on many dental assisting topics.
- Handy Workbook: Specially designed to coordinate with DENTAL ASISTING: A COMPREHESIVE APPROACH, 5th Edition, the Student Workbook contains skills evaluation sheets and practice exercises to help your students develop skills inside the classroom and at home.
- Personalized Studies: Let students learn the way they like with MindTap®, the digital learning solution that consolidates a variety of course materials into an individualized learning path! Available as an optional supplement, MindTap® offers readings, multimedia, and interactive activities designed to build skills and boost performance in your course.
- Colorful Insights: Packed with photos and dynamic, life-like illustrations, DENTAL ASSISTING: A COMPREHENSIVE APPROACH, 5th Edition, depicts clinical settings and helps students envision the dental assisting career of their dreams.
- Systematic Detail: Chapters include step-by-step instructions for proper procedures as they relate to handwashing, gloves, mask and protective eye-wear, basic setup, expanded functions, and dental assisting competencies.
- Thoughtful Issues: A variety of thought-provoking case studies present students with real-life scenarios and ask them to find solutions to problems -- putting their newfound knowledge to the test while probing deeper into the profession.
- Helpful Icons: Clearly visible, graphic icons in the readings point out information related to legal, safety, technology, global, or cultural issues, along with Expanded Function and Certified Dental Assisting (CDA) competencies.
- Interactive Skills: Help students learn more by doing!
2. Psychology, Communication, and Multicultural Interaction.
3. Ethics, Jurisprudence, and Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
4. Oral Health and Preventative Techniques.
6. General Anatomy and Physiology.
7. Head and Neck Anatomy.
8. Embryology and Histology.
9. Tooth Morphology.
11. Infection Control.
12. Management of Hazardous Materials (Occupations Health and Safety Administration Standards (OSHA)).
13. Preparation for Patient Care.
14. Dental Charting.
16. Emergency Management.
17. Introduction to the Dental Office and Basic Chairside Assisting.
18. Basic Chairside Instruments, Tray Systems, and Instrument Transfer.
19. Isolation and Moisture Control, Including Dental Dam.
20. Anesthetic and Sedation.
21. Introduction to Dental Radiography and Equipment.
22. Produce and Evaluate Dental Radiographs.
23. Extraoral and Digital Radiography.
25. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
26. Dental Implants.
27. Oral Pathology.
29. Pediatric Dentistry.
30. Dental Sealants.
32. Coronal Polish.
33. Fixed Prosthodontics and Gingival Retraction.
34. Computerized Impression and Restorative Systems.
35. Cosmetic Dentistry and Whitening.
36. Removable Prosthodontics.
37. Dental Cements, Bases, and Liners.
38. Restorative Materials and Dental Dam.
39. Laboratory Materials and Techniques.
40. Dental Office Management.
41. Employment Strategies.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-coordinating lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations that coordinate with the book, an instructor’s manual, lesson plans, handouts, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere. This flexible tool allows you to include your own favorite test questions, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Dental Assisting Exam Review 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
Designed around the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Examination blueprint, DENTAL ASSISTING EXAM REVIEW, 1st Edition is the only review manual dental assistants need to pass their certification exams. Its fresh approach centers on how and what to study to pass a variety of state and regional exams, while eliminating tangential material. Exam-focused chapters cover General Chairside Assisting, Infection Control, and Radiation Safety, including photos, procedures, and terminology. DENTAL ASSISTING EXAM REVIEW, 1st Edition also lays a foundation for the testing experience with an overview of the CDA, RHA, and ICE exams.
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the [odd-numbered exercises] in the text, giving you a way to check your answers.
Dental Assisting Exam Review 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
This is the only resource you will need to prepare for and pass your certification exams. DENTAL ASSISTING EXAM REVIEW, 1st Edition is designed around the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Examination blueprint. Its fresh approach centers on how and what to study to pass a variety of state and regional exams, while eliminating tangential material that can bog down the study process. Exam-focused chapters cover General Chairside Assisting, Infection Control, and Radiation Safety, including photos, procedures, and terminology. DENTAL ASSISTING EXAM REVIEW, 1st Edition also lays a foundation for the testing experience with an overview of the CDA, RHA, and ICE exams.