Request for consultation
Featuring a variety of applications that motivate students, this book serves as a companion or supplement to any of the comprehensive textbooks on communication systems. The book provides a variety of exercises that may be solved on the computer using MATLAB. By design, the treatment of the various topics is brief. The authors provide the motivation and a short introduction to each topic, establish the necessary notation, and then illustrate the basic concepts by means of an example.
- New chapter: Multicarrier Modulation and OFDM.
- New chapter: Multiple Antenna Systems.
- New chapter: Digital Transmission Through Wireless Channels.
- New examples with additional practical real-life engineering problems now included.
- New sections on DPCM, ADPCM, and DM; turbo codes and decoding; LDPC codes and decoding.
- Compliant with the latest version of MATLAB.
- Augmented coverage of Random Processes.
- Revised and updated Simulink supplement with tutorial problems available online.
- Presents a basic background of signals and systems.
- Covers the performances of analog modulation and demodulation techniques in the presence and absence of additive noise.
- Companion website includes all the MATLAB and Simulink files used in the text with numerous comments added to most files to make them easier to understand.
- Promotes problem-solving and critical-thinking skills through the use of MATLAB as a "virtual laboratory" and challenges readers to understand and apply these techniques on their own.
Fourier Series. Fourier Transforms. Power and Energy. Lowpass Equivalent of Bandpass Signals.
2. RANDOM PROCESSES.
Generation of Random Variables. Gaussian and Gauss-Markov Processes. Power Spectrum of Random Processes and White Processes. Linear Filtering of Random Processes. Lowpass and Bandpass Processes. Monte Carlo Simulation of Digital Communication Systems.
3. ANALOG MODULATION.
Amplitude Modulation (AM). Demodulation of AM Signals. Angle Modulation.
4. ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL CONVERSION.
Measure of Information. Quantization.
5. BASEBAND DIGITAL TRANSMISSION.
Binary Signal Transmission. Multiamplitude Signal Transmission. Multidimensional Signals.
6. DIGITAL TRANSMISSION THROUGH BANDLIMITED CHANNELS.
The Power Spectrum of a Digital PAM Signal. Characterization of Bandlimited Channels and Channel Distortion. Characterization of Intersymbol Interference. Communication System Design for Bandlimited Channels. Linear Equalizers. Nonlinear Equalizers.
7. DIGITAL TRANSMISSION VIA CARRIER MODULATION.
Carrier-Amplitude Modulation. Carrier-Phase Modulation. Quadrature Amplitude Modulation. Carrier-Frequency Modulation. Synchronization in Communication Systems.
8. MULTICARRIER MODULATION AND OFDM.
Generation of an OFDM Signal. Demodulation of OFDM Signals. Use of a Cyclic Prefix to Eliminate Channel Dispersion. Spectral Characteristics of OFDM Signals. Peak-to-Average Power Ratio in OFDM Systems.
9. DIGITAL TRANSMISSION THROUGH WIRELESS CHANNELS.
Channel Models for Time-Variant Multipath Channels. Performance of Binary Modulation in Rayleigh Fading Channel.
10. CHANNEL CAPACITY AND CODING.
Channel Model and Channel Capacity. Channel Coding. Turbo Codes and Iterative Decoding. Low Density Parity Check Codes.
11. MULTIPLE ANTENNA SYSTEMS.
Channel Models for Multiple Antenna Systems. Signal Transmission in a Slow Fading Frequency Nonselective MIMO Channel. Capacity of MIMO Channels. Space-Time Codes for MIMO Systems.
12. SPREAD SPECTRUM COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS.
Direct-Sequence Spread Spectrum Systems. Generation of PN Sequences. Frequency-Hopped Spread Spectrum.
"This book is a great resource that complements regular in-class coverage of various communication systems with many computer exercises using MATLAB. The students tremendously benefit from such exercises and get well prepared for their future careers."