Request for consultation
This introductory text features Douglas J. Soccio's conversational prose and a well-chosen, reader-friendly array of succinct excerpts from canonical primary sources. PHILOSOPHY IN CONTEXT brings philosophy to life for its readers through the examination of paradigmatic philosophies and philosophers. A student-focused book that speaks out of Soccio's desire to speak to students where they "are" and not where they "should be," PHILOSOPHY IN CONTEXT makes this often-times daunting subject approachable and engaging.
Overview of Classical Themes.
2. The Asian Sage: Confucius and Buddha.
3. The Presocratic: Sophos.
4. The Sophist: Protagoras.
5.The Wise Man: Socrates.
6. The Philosopher-King: Plato.
7. The Naturalist: Aristotle.
8. The Stoic: Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius.
9. The Scholar: Thomas Acquinas.
Overview of Modern Themes.
10. The Rationalist: René Descartes.
11. The Skeptic: David Hume.
12. The Universalist: Immanuel Kant.
13. The Utilitarian: John Stuart Mill.
14. The Materialist: Karl Marx.
15. The Pragmatist: William James.
16. The Existentialists: Søren Kierkegaard and Jean-Paul Sartre.
17. The Anti-Philosopher: Friedrich Nietzsche.
18. Philosophy As A Way of Life.
Bibliography of Interesting Sources.