Request for consultation
Designed specifically for business, economics, or life/social sciences majors, BRIEF CALCULUS: AN APPLIED APPROACH, 8e, motivates students while fostering understanding and mastery. This brief text emphasizes integrated and engaging applications that show students the real-world relevance of topics and concepts. Several pedagogical features—from algebra review to study tips—provide extra guidance and practice. The Eighth Edition builds upon its applications emphasis through updated exercises and relevant examples. Applied problems drawn from government sources, industry, current events, and other disciplines provide well-rounded examples and appeal to diverse interests. This Enhanced Edition includes instant access to Enhanced WebAssign, the most widely-used and reliable homework system. Enhanced WebAssign presents over a thousand problems, links to relevant textbook sections, video examples, problem-specific tutorials, and more, that help students grasp the concepts needed to succeed in this course. As an added bonus, the Start Smart Guide has been bound into this text. This guide contains instructions to help students learn the basics of WebAssign quickly.
- This Enhanced Edition includes instant access to Enhanced WebAssign®, the most widely-used and reliable homework system. Enhanced WebAssign® presents over a thousand problems, links to relevant textbook sections, video examples, problem-specific tutorials, and more, that help students grasp the concepts needed to succeed in this course. As an added bonus, the Start Smart Guide has been bound into this text. This guide contains instructions to help students learn the basics of WebAssign quickly.
- New! CL MATHSpace encompasses the interactive online products and services integrated with Cengage Learning mathematics programs. Ready-to-use content can be accessed through text-specific Student and Instructor Websites and via course management systems. For optimal instruction and learning, CL MATHSpace Homework Powered by WebAssign allows instructors to create assignments from a database of algorithmic questions based on end-of-section exercises.
- New! Make a Decision multi-step exercises reinforce students' problem-solving skills by taking real-life applications further, testing what students know about a given problem and prompting them to make decisions within the context of that problem.
- New! Non-computational Concept Check questions appear at the end of each section, allowing students to pause and check their understanding of the concepts covered in that section.
- New! Appearing in the middle of each chapter, Mid-Chapter Quizzes are single-page tests that let students practice skills and concepts learned in the chapter. This opportunity for self-assessment helps uncover potential weaknesses that might require further review of the material.
- Revised! Section-ending Business Capsules and accompanying exercises address business situations related to the mathematical concepts covered in the chapter.
- Revised! At the beginning of each exercise set, Skills Review exercises help students practice those skills covered in previous sections; answers are provided at the back of the text to reinforce understanding.
- Updated! Exercise Sets offer opportunities for practice and review. Approximately 6,000 exercises progress from skill-development problems to more challenging, real-world applications—all of which can be customized to the difficulty level of the instructor’s choice.
- A wide variety of relevant examples—each of which is titled for easy reference—include solutions presented graphically, analytically, and/or numerically to provide further insight into mathematical concepts. Examples that illustrate real-life situations are identified with an icon.
0. A PRECALCULUS REVIEW.
The Real Number Line and Order. Absolute Value and Distance on the Real Number Line. Exponents and Radicals. Factoring Polynomials. Fractions and Rationalization.
1. FUNCTIONS, GRAPHS, AND LIMITS.
The Cartesian Plane and the Distance Formula. Graphs of Equations. Lines in the Plane and Slope. Functions. Limits. Continuity.
The Derivative and the Slope of a Graph. Some Rules for Differentiation. Rates of Change: Velocity and Marginals. The Product and Quotient Rules. The Chain Rule. Higher-Order Derivatives. Implicit Differentiation. Related Rates.
3. APPLICATIONS OF THE DERIVATIVE.
Increasing and Decreasing Functions. Extrema and the First-Derivative Test. Concavity and the Second-Derivative. Optimization Problems. Business and Economics Applications. Asymptotes. Curve Sketching: A Summary. Differentials and Marginal Analysis.
4. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Natural Exponential Functions. Derivatives of Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Derivatives of Logarithmic Functions. Exponential Growth and Decay.
5. INTEGRATION AND ITS APPLICATIONS.
Antiderivatives and Indefinite Integrals. The General Power Rule and Substitution. Exponential and Logarithmic Integrals. Area and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The Area of a Region Bounded by Two Graphs. The Definite Integral as the Limit of a Sum.
6. TECHNIQUES OF INTEGRATION.
Integration by Parts and Present Value. Partial Fractions and Logistic Growth. Integration Tables. Numerical Integration. Improper Integrals.
7. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
The Three-Dimensional Coordinate System. Surfaces in Space. Functions of Several Variables. Partial Derivatives. Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Lagrange Multipliers. Least Squares Regression Analysis. Double Integrals and Area in the Plane. Applications of Double Integrals.
Appendix A. Alternate Introduction to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
Appendix B. Formulas.
Differentiation and Integration Formulas. Formulas from Business and Finance.
Appendix C. Differential Equations.
Solutions of Differential Equations. Separation of Variables. First-Order Linear Differential Equations. Applications of Differential Equations.
Appendix D. Properties and Measurement (web only).
Review of Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry. Units of Measurements.
Appendix E. Graphing Utility Programs (web only).
Graphing Utility Programs.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Eduspace Passkey and eBook: Calculus: An Applied Approach
Your Eduspace Plus Student Passkey will be sent to you digitally via your online purchase receipt and also sent via email.Your passkey is needed in order to access an Eduspace Plus course. Individual passkeys must be purchased for each course enrollment.Eduspace is Houghton Mifflin's online learning tool. It may be required by your instructor to complete online homework and assignments. Eduspace also offers powerful tools and text-specific content that will help you get a better grade.Eduspace Plus courses contain:
HM Testing CD-ROM
HM Testing provides instructors with all the tools needed to create, customize, and deliver multiple types of tests--including authoring and editing of algorithmic questions. With HM Testing, instructors can produce an unlimited number of tests for each chapter, including cumulative tests and final exams; these tests can be administered online or by paper/pencil.
Online Complete Solutions Manual
Student Solutions Manual
The Student Solutions Guide contains detailed, step-by-step solutions to all odd-numbered exercises in the text.
Website Passkey and eBook: Calculus
The Website Passkey will be provided to you in your online purchase receipt and also sent via email. There is no physical shipment for Website Passkeys.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.