Request for consultation
James Stewart's CALCULUS texts are widely renowned for their mathematical precision and accuracy, clarity of exposition, and outstanding examples and problem sets. Millions of students worldwide have explored calculus through Stewart's trademark style, while instructors have turned to his approach time and time again. In the Seventh Edition of CALCULUS, Stewart continues to set the standard for the course while adding carefully revised content. The patient explanations, superb exercises, focus on problem solving, and carefully graded problem sets that have made Stewart's texts best-sellers continue to provide a strong foundation for the Seventh Edition. From the most unprepared student to the most mathematically gifted, Stewart's writing and presentation serve to enhance understanding and build confidence. CourseSmart goes beyond traditional expectations–providing instant, online access to the textbooks and course materials you need and at a lower cost to your students. To request an electronic sample of this Cengage Learning title, go to: www.coursesmart.com/instructors. *Please note the chapter on Second Order Differential Equations (Chapter 17) is omitted from the Alternate edition.
- TOC change: For this edition, chapters 1 and 2 have been combined – and some material has been moved to an appendix—to streamline the presentation of these early topics.
- NEW! Hybrid versions of the text provide a less-expensive, shorter option for students using EWA. End-of-section problems are omitted from the text and appear online only.
- Four carefully crafted diagnostic tests in algebra, analytic geometry, functions, and trigonometry appear at the beginning of the text. These provide students with a convenient way to test their pre-existing knowledge and brush up on skill techniques they need to successfully begin the course. Answers are included, and students who need to improve will be referred to points in the text or on the book's website where they can seek help.
- Stewart's writing style speaks clearly and directly to students, guiding them through key ideas, theorems, and problem-solving steps, and encouraging them to think as they read and learn calculus.
- Every concept is supported by thoughtfully worked examples—many with step-by-step explanations—and carefully chosen exercises. The quality of this pedagogical system is what sets Stewart's texts above others.
- Examples are not only models for problem solving or a means of demonstrating techniques; they also encourage students to develop an analytic view of the subject. To provide further insight into mathematical concepts, many of these detailed examples display solutions that are presented graphically, analytically, and/or numerically. Margin notes expand on and clarify the steps of the solution.
- The text's clean, user-friendly design provides a clear presentation of calculus. The art program, with its functional and consistent use of color, helps students identify and review mathematical concepts more easily.
- The topic of Differential Equations is unified by the theme of modeling. Qualitative, numerical, and analytic approaches are given equal consideration.
- Stewart draws on physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, medicine, and social science to motivate students and demonstrate the power of calculus as a problem-solving tool in a wide variety of fields.
- Stewart's presentation repeatedly provides answers to the question, When will I use this? You'll find many examples of how calculus is used as a problem-solving tool in fields such as physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, medicine, and the social sciences.
- Stewart's text offers an extensive collection of more than 8,000 quality exercises. Each exercise set is carefully graded, progressing from skill-development problems to more challenging problems involving applications and proofs. The wide variety of types of exercises includes many technology-oriented, thought-provoking, real, and engaging problems.
- Throughout the text, the author has revised the narrative as necessary to improve clarity and aid in student comprehension.
- Conceptual exercises encourage the development of communication skills by explicitly requesting descriptions, conjectures, and explanations. These exercises stimulate critical thinking and reinforce the concepts of calculus.
- A wealth of engaging projects reinforce concepts. "Writing Projects" ask students to compare present-day methods with those of the founders of calculus. “Discovery Projects” anticipate results to be discussed later. “Applied Projects” feature content that engages student interest and demonstrates the real-world use of mathematics. “Laboratory Projects” anticipate results to be discussed later or encourage discovery through pattern recognition.
- Comprehensive review sections follow each chapter and further support conceptual understanding. A "Concept Check" and "True/False Quiz" allow students to prepare for upcoming tests through ideas and skill-building.
- Historical and biographical margin notes enliven the course and show students that mathematics was developed to help explain and represent natural phenomena.
- Additional exercises have been added to the existing end-of-chapter collections of more challenging exercises called “Problems Plus”. These sections reinforce concepts by requiring students to apply techniques from more than one chapter of the text, and by patiently showing them how to approach a challenging problem.
- NEW examples, margin notes, applications, and projects have been added. In addition, new collections of more challenging exercises called "Problems Plus" have been added, reinforcing concepts by requiring students to apply techniques from more than one chapter of the text. "Problems Plus" sections patiently show students how to approach a challenging problem.
- ET and regular Alternate Editions are full-color and paperback.
- NEW! This edition has been updated with approximately 25% more exercises than the previous edition, giving students more opportunities to practice concepts they have learned.
- NEW "PS" icons denoting problem-solving margin notes are aimed at increasing instructors' awareness of this important aspect of Stewart's approach.
- UPDATED! Tools for Enriching Calculus—a free, online, interactive resource that allows Calculus students to work with animations that deepen their understanding of key concepts by helping them visualize the concepts they are learning—has been updated with new problems and a new Flash design that is more visually appealing and engaging to students.
- NEW-AND-IMPROVED! Exclusively from Cengage Learning, Enhanced WebAssign® offers an extensive online program for Stewart's Calculus, 7e, to encourage the practice that's so critical for concept mastery. The meticulously crafted pedagogy and exercises in our proven texts become even more effective in Enhanced WebAssign, supplemented by multimedia tutorial support and immediate feedback as students complete their assignments. Enhanced WebAssign for Stewart now includes opportunities for students to review prerequisite skills and content both at the start of the course (in conjunction with four diagnostic tests) and at the beginning of each section. In addition, at the problem-level, student can get extra help in the form of "math mentor" feedback and video solutions.
- NEW! Cengage YouBook is a Flash-based eBook that is interactive and customizable! Containing all the content from Stewart's Calculus, 7e, YouBook features a text edit tool that allows you to rewrite, delete, modify, or add to the textbook narrative as needed. With YouBook, you can quickly re-order entire chapters and sections or hide any content you don't teach to create an eBook that perfectly matches your syllabus. Additional media assets include interactive simulations, animations, and video clips that complement the traditional text presentation. The YouBook also lets you embed videos of your own or from YouTube directly into eBook pages.
- NEW! Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
A Preview of Calculus.
1. FUNCTIONS AND LIMITS.
Four Ways to Represent a Function. Mathematical Models: A Catalog of Essential Functions. New Functions from Old Functions. The Tangent and Velocity Problems. The Limit of a Function. Calculating Limits Using the Limit Laws. The Precise Definition of a Limit. Continuity. Review. Principles of Problem Solving.
Derivatives and Rates of Change. Writing Project: Writing Project: Early Methods for Finding Tangents. The Derivative as a Function. Differentiation Formulas. Applied Project: Building a Better Roller Coaster. Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions. The Chain Rule. Applied Project: Where Should a Pilot Start Descent? Implicit Differentiation. Laboratory Project: Families of Implicit Curves. Rates of Change in the Natural and Social Sciences. Related Rates. Linear Approximations and Differentials. Laboratory Project: Taylor Polynomials. Review. Problems Plus.
3. APPLICATIONS OF DIFFERENTIATION.
Maximum and Minimum Values. Applied Project: The Calculus of Rainbows. The Mean Value Theorem. How Derivatives Affect the Shape of a Graph. Limits at Infinity; Horizontal Asymptotes. Summary of Curve Sketching. Graphing with Calculus and Calculators. Optimization Problems. Applied Project: The Shape of a Can. Newton’s Method. Antiderivatives. Review. Problems Plus.
Areas and Distances. The Definite Integral. Discovery Project: Area Functions. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Indefinite Integrals and the Net Change Theorem. Writing Project: Newton, Leibniz, and the Invention of Calculus. The Substitution Rule. Review. Problems Plus.
5. APPLICATIONS OF INTEGRATION.
Areas Between Curves. Applied Project: The Gini Index. Volume. Volumes by Cylindrical Shells. Work. Average Value of a Function. Review. Problems Plus.
6. INVERSE FUNCTIONS: EXPONENTIAL, LOGARITHMIC, AND INVERSE TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS.
Inverse Functions. Instructors may cover either Sections 6.2-6.4 or Sections 6.2*-6.4*. See the Preface. Exponential Functions and Their Derivatives. Logarithmic Functions. Derivatives of Logarithmic Functions. The Natural Logarithmic Function. The Natural Exponential Function. General Logarithmic and Exponential Functions. Exponential Growth and Decay. Inverse Trigonometric Functions. Applied Project: Where to Sit at the Movies. Hyperbolic Functions. Indeterminate Forms and l’Hospital’s Rule. Writing Project: The Origins of l’Hospital’s Rule. Review. Problems Plus.
7. TECHNIQUES OF INTEGRATION.
Integration by Parts. Trigonometric Integrals. Trigonometric Substitution. Integration of Rational Functions by Partial Fractions. Strategy for Integration. Applied Project: Calculus and Baseball. Integration Using Tables and Computer Algebra Systems. Discovery Project: Patterns in Integrals. Approximate Integration. Improper Integrals. Review. Problems Plus.
8. FURTHER APPLICATIONS OF INTEGRATION.
Arc Length. Discovery Project: Arc Length Contest. Area of a Surface of Revolution. Discovery Project: Rotating on a Slant. Applications to Physics and Engineering. Discovery Project: Complementary Coffee Cups. Applications to Economics and Biology. Probability. Review. Problems Plus.
9. DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Modeling with Differential Equations. Direction Fields and Euler’s Method. Separable Equations. Applied Project: How Fast Does a Tank Drain? Applied Project: Which is Faster, Going Up or Coming Down? Models for Population Growth. Linear Equations. Predator-Prey Systems. Review. Problems Plus.
10. PARAMETRIC EQUATIONS AND POLAR COORDINATES.
Curves Defined by Parametric Equations. Laboratory Project: Families of Hypocycloids. Calculus with Parametric Curves. Laboratory Project: Bézier Curves. Polar Coordinates. Laboratory Project: Families of Polar Curves. Areas and Lengths in Polar Coordinates. Conic Sections. Conic Sections in Polar Coordinates. Review. Problems Plus.
11. INFINITE SEQUENCES AND SERIES.
Sequences. Laboratory Project: Logistic Sequences. Series. The Integral Test and Estimates of Sums. The Comparison Tests. Alternating Series. Absolute Convergence and the Ratio and Root Tests. Strategy for Testing Series. Power Series. Representations of Functions as Power Series. Taylor and Maclaurin Series . Laboratory Project: An Elusive Limit. Writing Project: How Newton Discovered the Binomial Series. Applications of Taylor Polynomials. Applied Project: Radiation from the Stars. Review. Problems Plus. 12. VECTORS AND THE GEOMETRY OF SPACE.
Three-Dimensional Coordinate Systems. Vectors. The Dot Product. The Cross Product. Discovery Project: The Geometry of a Tetrahedron. Equations of Lines and Planes. Cylinders and Quadric Surfaces. Review. Problems Plus.
13. VECTOR FUNCTIONS.
Vector Functions and Space Curves. Derivatives and Integrals of Vector Functions. Arc Length and Curvature. Motion in Space: Velocity and Acceleration. Applied Project: Kepler’s Laws. Review. Problems Plus.
14. PARTIAL DERIVATIVES.
Functions of Several Variables. Limits and Continuity. Partial Derivatives. Tangent Planes and Linear Approximation. The Chain Rule. Directional Derivatives and the Gradient Vector. Maximum and Minimum Values. Applied Project: Designing a Dumpster. Discovery Project: Quadratic Approximations and Critical Points. Lagrange Multipliers. Applied Project: Rocket Science. Applied Project: Hydro-Turbine Optimization. Review. Problems Plus.
15. MULTIPLE INTEGRALS.
Double Integrals over Rectangles. Iterated Integrals. Double Integrals over General Regions. Double Integrals in Polar Coordinates. Applications of Double Integrals. Triple Integrals. Discovery Project: Volumes of Hyperspheres. Triple Integrals in Cylindrical Coordinates. Discovery Project: The Intersection of Three Cylinders. Triple Integrals in Spherical Coordinates. Applied Project: Roller Derby. Change of Variables in Multiple Integrals. Review. Problems Plus.
16. VECTOR CALCULUS.
Vector Fields. Line Integrals. The Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals. Green’s Theorem. Curl and Divergence. Parametric Surfaces and Their Areas. Surface Integrals. Stokes’ Theorem. Writing Project: Three Men and Two Theorems. The Divergence Theorem. Summary. Review. Problems Plus.
A. Intervals, Inequalities, and Absolute Values.
B. Coordinate Geometry and Lines.
C. Graphs of Second-Degree Equations.
E. Sigma Notation.
F. Proofs of Theorems.
G. Graphing Calculators and Computers .
H. Complex Numbers.
I. Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Includes multiple-choice and short-answer test items that key directly to the text. (Includes single variable and multivariable content).
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want. This is available online via your SSO account at login.cengage.com.
Complete Solutions Manual, Chapters 1-11 for Stewart's Single Variable Calculus, 8th
This manual includes worked-out solutions to every exercise in Single Variable Calculus, 8e (Chapters 1-11 of Calculus, 8e). This manual can be found on the Instructors Companion Site.
Complete Solutions Manual, Chapters 10-17 for Stewart's Multivariable Calculus, 8th
This manual includes worked-out solutions to every exercise in Multivariable Calculus, 8e (Chapters 10-17 of Calculus, 8e). This manual can be found on the Instructors Companion Site.
Fast Track to a 5 for Stewart’s Calculus, 8th
Student Solutions Manual, Chs. 10-17
This manual includes worked-out solutions to every odd-numbered exercise in Multivariable Calculus, 8e (Chapters 1-11 of Calculus, 8e).