Request for consultation
Based on the first half of the longtime market-leader BUSINESS LAW: TEXT AND CASES by Clarkson/Miller/Cross, this paperback text offers an affordable solution for the first course in a business law series, often a requirement for business majors. It delivers an ideal blend of classic "black letter law" and contemporary summarized cases. The text's strong student orientation makes the law accessible, interesting, and relevant, with cases that represent the latest developments. This book offers CengageNOW™, an optional online solution to help prepare and engage students.
- BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--FIRST COURSE offers an effective mix of classic and landmark cases that are summarized in the author's words, with recent cases on key topics that not only provide modern examples of business law but also strongly interest today's students. Case examples are excerpted (in the language of the court) and have been carefully selected and edited to offer student accessibility and appeal while providing a solid illustration of how courts interpret and apply the law.
- BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES--FIRST COURSE is supported by the latest course management tools, including CengageNOW™, a unique web-based application that enables you to easily create and administer text-specific assignments that are automatically graded. With CengageNOW™, students come to class better prepared, and you can readily assess overall student progress and identify areas to focus lectures and instruction. The application features a variety of question types to test simple reading comprehension, complex critical thinking, legal reasoning, and case analysis skills.
- "Issue Spotters" conclude each chapter to help students learn to identify the legal issues and apply the laws that they learned about.
- "Case in Point" examples and hypothetical examples are highlighted and numbered for easier reference. These examples are integrated throughout the text to help students comprehend legal principles covered in the text.
- "Managerial Strategy" features are integrated throughout the text as appropriate and focus on management aspects of business.
- "Reviewing" features, found at the end of every chapter, help solidify the students' understanding of the chapter materials. The feature presents a hypothetical scenario and then asks a series of questions that require the students to identify the issues and apply legal concepts.
- "Debate This" follows each "Reviewing" feature and consists of a brief statement or question concerning the chapter material that can be used to spur lively classroom discussion or small group assignments. It can also be used as a written assignment.
- Each Insight into (Ethics, E-Commerce, Global, Environment, or Social Media) feature concludes with a critical-thinking question, and a set of "Dimensions" questions follows each case excerpt, allowing the text to address the AACSB curriculum requirement to explore global, political, ethical, social, environmental, technological, and cultural contexts of business law.
- To enhance students' ability to understand important information about applications of the law to real-world situations, "Impact of Case on Today's Law" features conclude the Landmark and Classic cases, illustrating the relevance of these cases to modern law, and are followed by a critical-thinking question to promote in-depth analysis.
- Selected cases conclude with "What If the Facts Were Different?" questions that alter the facts of the case and ask the student to decide if the same ruling would result. "Debate This" sections at the end of the "Reviewing" features also encourage critical thinking and more thoughtful analysis.
- Chapters conclude with hypothetical business scenarios and business case problems that require students to identify the relevant legal issues and apply the legal concepts covered in the chapter, enabling them to review the material effectively while applying it practically.
1. Law and Legal Reasoning.
2. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
3. Court Procedures.
4. Business and the Constitution.
5. Business Ethics.
UNIT II: TORTS AND CRIMES.
7. Strict Liability and Product Liability.
8. Intellectual Property Rights.
9. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
10. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
UNIT III: CONTRACTS AND E-CONTRACTS.
11. Nature and Terminology.
12. Agreement in Traditional and E-Contracts.
14. Capacity and Legality.
15. Mistakes, Fraud, and Voluntary Consent.
16. The Writing Requirement and Electronic Records.
17. Third Party Rights.
18. Performance and Discharge in Traditional and E-Contracts.
19. Breach of Contract and Remedies.
UNIT IV: DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL SALES AND LEASE CONTRACTS.
20. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
21. Title, Risk, and Insurable Interest.
22. Performance and Breach of Sales and Lease Contracts.
24. International Law in a Global Economy.
UNIT V: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT.
25. Agency Formation and Duties.
26. Agency Liability to Third Parties and Termination.
27. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
28. Employment Discrimination and Diversity.
Unit VI: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS.
29. Sole Proprietorships and Franchises.
30. Partnerships and Limited Liability Partnerships.
31. Other Organizational Forms for Small Businesses.
32. Corporate Formation and Financing.
A. How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
B. The Constitution of the United States.
C. The Uniform Commercial Code.
D. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act (Excerpts and Explanatory Comments).
E. Answers to the Issue Spotters.
F. Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need in one place. The Instructor’s Companion Website is the place for you to download all the teaching resources -- instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® slide decks, and LMS versions of the test bank questions.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.