Request for consultation
Comprehensive, authoritative, and student-friendly, market-leader Clarkson/Miller/Cross BUSINESS LAW: TEXT AND CASES, 14E delivers an ideal blend of classic "black letter law" and cutting-edge contemporary issues and cases. The first text to implement an undergraduate-oriented pedagogy with traditional law school-like content, BUSINESS LAW, 14E continues to set the standard for excellence. The book’s strong student orientation makes the law accessible, interesting, and relevant. Cases, content, and features throughout this edition are thoroughly updated to present the latest developments in business law. Cases range from precedent-setting landmarks to important recent decisions. Ethical, global, e-commerce, digital, and corporate themes are integrated throughout with new features, such as new Digital Updates that highlight how digital progress is affecting the law. In addition, numerous critical-thinking exercises challenge students to apply their knowledge of law to real issues.
- NEW DIGITAL UPDATE FEATURES DEMONSTRATE THE IMPACT OF TECHNOLOGY ON TODAY’S LAW. These unique Digital Update features appear in numerous chapters in this edition, clearly displaying how the changes in the contemporary digital world are affecting business law and today’s legal environment.
- NEW APPLICATION AND ETHICS FEATURES CONCLUDE EACH UNIT. Ten new unit-ending major features, called Application and Ethics, each end with an Ethical Connection section that includes an ethics question and a critical-thinking question.
- NEW FULLY ADDRESSABLE CASE COLLECTION PROVIDES A VARIETY OF CHOICES THAT ARE EASY TO ACCESS. This edition offers a fully addressable Case Collection with more than 1,200 cases that you, the instructor, can access and assign in your MindTap® course. You are easily able to sort the cases by name, year, state, and subject matter.
- NEW COVERAGE ON SPACE LAW EXPLORES THIS GROWING AREA OF GLOBAL CONCERN. Because of the ongoing advances in space exploration and travel, the authors have added an entirely new section on space law in Chapter 24, “International and Space Law.” This section delves into the international aspect of space law and its foundations, including the U.N. Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space. Engaging material also addresses the duty of astronaut rescue, space debris, space technology exports, and property rights to space resources.
- CASE ANALYSIS PROVIDES LENGTHY EXTENDED CASE EXCERPT IN EVERY CHAPTER. These case excerpts are presented entirely in the language of the court, enhancing the readers’ ability to identify the legal principles and issues today’s businesses face. The Case Analysis case excerpts are suitable for case-briefing assignments. Each concludes with a Legal Reasoning Questions section containing three questions that guide analysis of the case and helps build students’ legal-reasoning skills.
- SPECIAL CASE ANALYSIS QUESTIONS GUIDE STUDENTS THROUGH THE IRAC PROCESS. Students learn to use this effective method to work through selected Case Analysis cases. The Special Case Analysis questions are featured within the end-of-chapter material at the conclusion of every unit.
- COMPREHENSIVE END-OF-CHAPTER PEDAGOGY HELPS STUDENTS REVIEW AND CHECK THEIR UNDERSTANDING. Proven end-of-chapter sections provide a varied and comprehensive review of the chapter’s concepts, relationships, and applications of business law. You can assign these exercises or use them as starting points for meaningful classroom discussions. Students are challenged to apply legal concepts and issues to everyday scenarios and real-life case problems.
- “REVIEWING” FEATURES HELP SOLIDIFY UNDERSTANDING OF EACH CHAPTER’S MATERIALS. This learning tool presents a hypothetical scenario and asks a series of questions that requires the reader to identify the key issues and apply legal concepts.
- “A DEBATE” FEATURE SPURS LIVELY CLASSROOM DISCUSSION. This “Debate” feature follows each “Reviewing” section and offers a brief statement or intriguing question concerning the chapter material. You can use these “Debates” to prompt meaningful classroom discussion or to guide small group assignments or even written assignments.
- TERMS AND CONCEPTS ENSURE STUDENTS FULLY UNDERSTAND IMPORTANT LEGAL TERMS. This helpful list presents all of the chapter’s boldfaced key terms at a glance and shows the page number where each term can be found. A Glossary contains a newly revised set of clear definitions for each term in the text.
- “ISSUE SPOTTERS” FACILITATE STUDENT REVIEW AND RETENTION. These “Issue Spotters” draw special attention to each chapter’s key points of law or critical concepts. Sample answers to these features are available for students to check their work in Appendix D of the text.
- BUSINESS SCENARIOS GUIDE STUDENTS IN PRACTIAL APPLICATIONS OF CONCEPTS. These hypothetical, but realistic, business scenarios require students to identify relevant legal issues and apply them effectively within the scenario presented.
- BUSINESS CASE PROBLEMS ARE BASED ON ACTUAL U.S. CASES. Engaging case problems -- drawn from real cases -- highlight legal concepts covered in the chapter and enable students to review the material effectively while applying it practically.
- LEGAL REASONING GROUP ACTIVITIES ENCOURAGE COLLABORATION. These activities allow students to work together to resolve a specific business scenario’s legal issue or problem covered in the chapter. You can use these projects in class discussions or assign them for group projects.
- MINDTAP®, AN ENGAGING ONLINE LEARNING SOLUTION provides a personalized teaching experience with relevant assignments guiding students to analyze, apply, and improve critical thinking. The customizable online course allows you to control what students see and when they see it. A pre-built Learning Path guides students through activities to prepare, engage, apply and analyze business law concepts. Students stay involved with NEW Interactive Cases and Videos within the eReader. NEW Adaptive Test Prep helps students study for exams. Analytics provide a snapshot of progress, engagement and completion rates.
- ENTIRE CHAPTER (CH. 5) FOCUSES COMPLETELY ON BUSINESS ETHICS AND DECISION-MAKING. Ethics Today learning features explore real-life cases and topics affecting businesses. Ethical questions follow many cases within this edition and “A Question of Ethics” concludes every end-of-chapter Case Problem section. At the end of every unit, the authors present an Application and Ethics feature that covers a wide range of topics and includes an Ethical Connection section that explores the ethical dimensions of a topic treated within the unit.
- CRITICAL-THINKING FEATURES HELP ADDRESS AACSB CURRICULUM REQUIREMENT. Each feature in this edition concludes with a special Critical Thinking section. These questions address the AACSB curriculum requirement to explore global, political, ethical, social, environmental, technological, and cultural contexts of business law. Located in select chapters, most of the features cover new topics that your students will find timely and applicable to everyday life as well as common business situations.
- DIVERSE CASE SELECTION VARIES FROM CLASSIC TO CONTEMPORARY CASES. In keeping with the book’s strong reputation for outstanding cases, this edition offers Classic and Spotlight Cases as well as many new cases and case problems. Nearly every chapter offers a case and/or case problem based on a 2015 or 2016 case. Cases are excerpted in the language of the court, and have been carefully edited to appeal to students while illustrating how courts interpret and apply the law. Critical-thinking questions follow each case excerpt to enhance reasoning and analytical skills.
- “IMPACT OF THIS CASE ON TODAY’S LAW” FEATURES DETAIL THE IMPORTANCE OF THE CASE. Every Classic Case contains this special section designed to enhance your students’ ability to learn and retain important information about applications of the law in real-world situations. This special Classic Case feature effectively illustrates the relevance of these cases to modern law.
1. Law and Legal Reasoning.
2. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
3. Court Procedures.
4. Business and the Constitution.
5. Business Ethics.
Unit One Application and Ethics: “Arbitration, No Class Actions”.
UNIT II: TORTS AND CRIMES.
6. Tort Law.
7. Strict Liability and Product Liability.
8. Intellectual Property Rights.
9. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
10. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
Unit Two Application and Ethics: “The Biggest Data Breach of All Time”.
UNIT III: CONTRACTS AND E-CONTRACTS.
11. Nature and Terminology.
12. Agreement in Traditional and E-Contracts.
14. Capacity and Legality.
15. Mistakes, Fraud, and Voluntary Consent.
16. The Writing Requirement in Our Digital World.
17. Third Party Rights.
18. Performance and Discharge.
19. Breach of Contract and Remedies.
Unit Three Application and Ethics: “Fantasy Sports--Legal Gambling?”.
UNIT IV: DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL SALES AND LEASE CONTRACTS.
20. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
Appendix to Chapter 20: An International Sales Contract.
21. Title, Risk, and Insurable Interest.
22. Performance and Breach of Sales and Lease Contracts.
24. International and Space Law.
Unit Four Application and Ethics: “Success in Global Commerce”.
UNIT V: NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS.
25. Negotiable Instruments.
26. Transferability and Holder in Due Course.
27. Liability, Defenses, and Discharge.
28. Banking in the Digital Age.
Unit Five Application and Ethics: “Virtual Currency --Is It Safe?”.
UNIT VI: CREDITORS’ RIGHTS AND BANKRUPTCY.
29. Creditors’ Rights and Remedies.
30. Secured Transactions.
31. Bankruptcy Law.
Unit Six Application and Ethics: “Federal Student Loans--Default and Discharge”.
UNIT VII: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT.
32. Agency Formation and Duties.
33. Agency Liability and Termination.
34. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
35. Employment Discrimination.
Unit Seven Application and Ethics: “Health Insurance and Small Business”.
UNIT VIII: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS.
36. Small Businesses and Franchises.
37. All Forms of Partnerships.
38. Limited Liability Companies and Special Business Forms.
39. Corporate Formation and Financing.
40. Corporate Directors, Officers, and Shareholders.
41. Mergers and Takeovers.
42. Investor Protection, Insider Trading, and Corporate Governance.
Unit Eight Application and Ethics: “Business Start-Ups Online”.
UNIT IX: GOVERNMENT REGULATION.
43. Administrative Agencies.
44. Consumer Law.
45. Environmental Protection.
46. Antitrust Law.
47. Professional Liability and Accountability.
Unit Nine Application and Ethics: “Climate Change”.
UNIT X: PROPERTY AND ITS PROTECTION.
48. Personal Property and Bailments.
49. Real Property and Landlord-Tenant Law.
51. Wills and Trusts.
Unit Ten Application and Ethics: “Business Planning for Divorce”.
Appendix A: How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States.
Appendix C: The Uniform Commercial Code.
Appendix D: Answers to the Issue Spotters.
Appendix E: Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answers.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need in one place. The Instructor’s Companion Website is the place for you to download all the teaching resources -- instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® slide decks, and LMS versions of the test bank questions.
Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.