Request for consultation
Accurate, relevant, and thoroughly up-to-date, BUSINESS LAW AND THE REGULATION OF BUSINESS, 12E continues to set the standard by providing students with a straightforward look at the fundamentally important statutory and case law that affects business today. This authoritative, clearly written, and complete text covers the material concisely while providing sufficient depth and interest to ensure student comprehension and mastery. This edition provides an excellent resource for CPA Exam preparation. The text includes both landmark and recent cases, which have the facts and decisions summarized for clarity, while the opinion is carefully edited to preserve the language of the court. The material is made even more accessible by the use of more than 220 classroom-tested figures, tables, diagrams, concept reviews, and chapter summaries. Numerous critical-thinking features further challenge students and strengthen analytical skills.
- "GOING GLOBAL" FEATURE INTEGRATES IMPORTANT INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS LAW CONTENT THROUGHOUT THE TEXT. This emphasis on global law allows students to consider the significant international aspects of contemporary legal issues they are studying.
- NEW RELEVANT, INTRUIGING CASES DEMONSTRATE THE PRACTICAL IMPORTANCE OF CONCEPTS. Approximately half of this edition’s chapters now feature new cases that address current legal issues. Most chapters also feature new end-of-chapter questions and/or case problems.
- UPDATED COVERAGE ADDRESSES THE LATEST EMERGING ISSUES AND CHANGES. The latest content addresses The Restatement (Third) of Restitution, Unjust Enrichment, UCC Article 4A, limited liability companies, suretyship, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, the SEC’s new disclosure rules clarifying how companies can use social media to disseminate information. This edition also highlights the Foreign and Economic Espionage Penalty Enhancement Act of 2012, the EPA’s regulation of greenhouse gases, and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- BOOK PROVIDES EXCELLENT RESOURCE FOR CPA EXAM PREPARATION. This edition highlights key legal concepts and applications that are essential to master in preparation for success on the CPA Exam.
- SUMMARIZED CASES AND OPINIONS IN LANGUAGE OF THE COURT BALANCE CLARITY WITH AUTHENTICITY. Case facts and decisions are summarized for clarity, while the opinion is carefully edited to preserve the language of the court. Students further strengthen their analytical skills with Critical Thinking Questions that follow.
- "APPLYING THE LAW" DEMONSTRATES HOW TO PRACTICALLY APPLY CONCEPTS. Students learn how to apply reliable legal reasoning to cases and legal issues using the proven Issue, Rule, Application, and Conclusion (IRAC) method.
- CONCEPT REVIEWS ENSURE COMPREHENSIVE UNDERSTANDING. These important summaries that appear prior to discussions not only review concepts, but also clarify the key relationships between different legal rules.
- "BUSINESS LAW IN ACTION" DEMONSTRATES PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS OF CONCEPTS. Now you can share meaningful, helpful insights with your students as this feature examines how today’s managers actually apply contemporary law in common workplace situations.
- "PRACTICAL ADVICE" APPLIES CONCEPTS TO TODAY’S TYPICAL CHALLENGES. These useful features clearly demonstrate how students can personally apply legal concepts to common, current business situations.
- EMPHASIS ON ETHICS CHALLENGES READERS TO EXAMINE ETHICAL IMPLICATIONS OF LEGAL DECISIONS. Students closely consider how ethics apply to business today as Chapter 2 examines business ethics. This edition’s Business Ethics case studies and Ethical Dilemma features present typical managerial situations involving ethical issues.
1. Introduction to Law.
2. Business Ethics.
PART II: THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS.
3. Civil Dispute Resolution.
4. Constitutional Law.
5. Administrative Law.
6. Criminal Law.
7. Intentional Torts.
8. Negligence and Strict Liability.
PART III: CONTRACTS.
9. Introduction to Contracts.
10. Mutual Assent.
11. Conduct Invalidating Assent.
13. Illegal Bargains.
14. Contractual Capacity.
15. Contracts in Writing.
16. Third Parties to Contracts.
17. Performance, Breach, and Discharge.
18. Contract Remedies.
PART IV: SALES.
19. Introduction to Sales and Leases.
21. Transfer of Title and Risk of Loss.
22. Product Liability: Warranties and Strict Liability.
23. Sales Remedies.
PART V: NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS.
24. Form and Content.
25. Transfer and Holder in Due Course.
26. Liability of Parties.
27. Bank Deposits, Collections, and Funds Transfers.
PART VI: AGENCY.
28. Relationship of Principal and Agent.
29. Relationship with Third Parties.
PART VII: BUSINESS ASSOCIATIONS.
30. Formation and Internal Relations of General Partnerships.
31. Operation and Dissolution of General Partnerships.
32. Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies.
33. Nature and Formation of Corporations.
34. Financial Structure of Corporations.
35. Management Structure of Corporations.
36. Fundamental Changes of Corporations.
PART VIII: DEBTOR AND CREDITOR RELATIONS.
37. Secured Transactions and Suretyship.
PART IX: REGULATION OF BUSINESS.
39. Securities Regulation.
40. Intellectual Property.
41. Employment Law.
43. Accountants' Legal Liability.
44. Consumer Protection.
45. Environmental Law.
46. International Business Law.
PART X: PROPERTY.
47. Introduction to Property, Property Insurance, Bailments, and Documents of Title.
48. Interests in Real Property.
49. Transfer and Control of Real Property.
50. Trusts and Wills.
Appendix A: The Constitution of the United States of America.
Appendix B: Uniform Commercial Code (Selected Provisions).
Appendix C: Dictionary of Legal Terms.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. You can create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.