Request for consultation
BUSINESS ETHICS, 9th Edition is a comprehensive and practical guide designed to assist students with real life ethical issues that arise in the business world. This textbook helps students to develop the critical thinking and analytical skills needed to navigate the unique set of problems that emerge when ethics and commerce collide. The author focuses on key ethical concepts and emphasizes the real world importance of critical topics such as the nature of morality, major theories of ethics and economic justice, and competing views of capitalism and corporate responsibility. This book is thorough, flexible, and pedagogically proven to bolster student involvement and comprehension of the material.
- Improved textual exposition clarifies concepts and issues that students find difficult. New examples and fresh information throughout the book.
- New case studies tackle current events and issues that will resonate with students, including: college athletics, the religious rights of corporations, overseas sweatshops, and corporate tax dodging.
- Each chapter includes a conceptual and contextual overview of the relevant topic(s) and a selection of provocative real-life cases. In total, the text features 52 case studies. This gives instructors flexibility to choose relevant material that will bring concepts to life for their students.
- The text provides thorough and balanced treatment of both, ethical theory and applied issues, guiding students to develop an understanding of key concepts while honing practical approaches to ethical situations they are likely to encounter in the business world.
- The book includes important features that enhance student learning, such as marginal notes and marginal summaries, which highlight key points in the text, a "study corner" at the end of each chapter with key terms, concepts, review points, and a set of questions for further reflection. The book also has a guide to further reading on the topics it covers.
- An attractive design is complemented by helpful charts, photos, and graphs.
1. THE NATURE OF MORALITY.
Ethics. Moral versus Nonmoral Standards. Religion and Morality. Ethical Relativism. Having Moral Principles. Morality and Personal Values. Individual Integrity and Responsibility. Moral Reasoning.
2. NORMATIVE THEORIES OF ETHICS.
Consequentialist and Nonconsequentialist Theories. Egoism. Utilitarianism. Kant’s Ethics. Other Nonconsequentialist Perspectives. Utilitarianism Once More. Moral Decision Making: A Practical Approach.
3. JUSTICE AND ECONOMIC DISTRIBUTION.
The Nature of Justice. The Utilitarian View. The Libertarian Approach. Rawls’s Theory of Justice.
PART II: AMERICAN BUSINESS AND ITS BASIS.
4. THE NATURE OF CAPITALISM.
Capitalism. Key Features of Capitalism. Two Arguments for Capitalism. Criticisms of Capitalism. Today’s Economic Challenges.
The Limited-Liability Company. Corporate Moral Agency. Rival Views of Corporate Responsibility. Debating Corporate Responsibility. Institutionalizing Ethics within Corporations.
PART III: BUSINESS AND SOCIETY.
Product Safety. Other Areas of Business Responsibility. Deception and Unfairness in Advertising. The Debate over Advertising.
7. THE ENVIRONMENT.
Business and Ecology. The Ethics of Environmental Protection. Achieving Our Environmental Goals. Delving Deeper into Environmental Ethics.
PART IV: THE ORGANIZATION AND THE PEOPLE IN IT.
8. THE WORKPLACE (1): BASIC ISSUES.
Civil Liberties in the Workplace. Hiring. Promotions. Discipline and Discharge. Wages. Labor Unions.
9. THE WORKPLACE (2): TODAY’S CHALLENGES.
Organizational Influence in Private Lives. Testing and Monitoring. Working Conditions. Redesigning Work.
10. MORAL CHOICES FACING EMPLOYEES.
Obligations to the Firm. Abuse of Official Position. Bribes and Kickbacks. Gifts and Entertainment. Conflicting Obligations. Whistle-Blowing. Self-Interest and Moral Obligation.
11. JOB DISCRIMINATION.
The Meaning of Job Discrimination. Evidence of Discrimination. Affirmative Action: The Legal Context. Affirmative Action: The Moral Issues. Comparable Worth. Sexual Harassment.
SUGGESTIONS FOR FURTHER READING.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
MindTap® Ethics for Shaw's Business Ethics, 9th Edition is the digital learning solution that helps instructors engage and transform today’s students into critical thinkers. Through paths of dynamic assignments and applications that you can personalize, real-time course analytics and an accessible reader, MindTap helps you turn cookie cutter into cutting edge, apathy into engagement, and memorizers into higher-level thinkers.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.