Request for consultation
Russell/Hertz/McMillan, BIOLOGY: THE DYNAMIC SCIENCE 4e and MindTap empower instructors to teach Biology the way scientists practice it by emphasizing and applying science as a process. Students learn not only what scientists know, but how they know it, and what they still need to learn. Throughout, Russell and MindTap engage students, develop quantitative analysis and mathematical reasoning skills, and build conceptual understanding. The most engaging and easily personalized online solution in Biology, MindTap enables instructors to deliver what they know is best for their students.
- MINDTAP LEARNING PATH: Easily personalized by instructors, the learning path is even more student centered and focuses on the learning workflow with activities for before class, in class, and after class. Instructors have more flexibility with customization and can take advantage of key learning resources from the text.
- DATA ANALYSIS: "Interpret the Data" questions are now augmented by MindTap exercises challenging students to interpret and analyze real research data beyond what is found in the text.
- PRACTICE THE PROCESS OF SCIENCE: "Think Like a Scientist" questions now include an indicator identifying the particular step in the process of science that the question addresses.
- UPDATED COVERAGE: Genomics and proteomics approaches have been integrated throughout the book (36 new "Molecular Insights" boxes are focused on genomics or proteomics). The metabolism chapters in Unit One (Ch. 6–Energy, Enzymes, and Biological Reactions; Ch. 7–Cellular Respiration; and Ch. 8–Photosynthesis) are now sequential.
- ASSESSMENT: End of chapter "Test Your Knowledge" questions are now organized by Bloom's taxonomy allowing students to review the material in a sequence that moves from the basic knowledge of factual material to more challenging and sophisticated applications of that knowledge to novel situations.
- New adaptive Mastery Training in MindTap provides distributed practice that helps students master key terms, deepen their understanding, and build long-term memory of core concepts.
- MINDTAP LEARNING PATH: Personalized by instructors for your course, the learning path is even more student centered and focuses on the learning workflow with activities for before class, in class, and after class.
- STUDENT ENGAGEMENT: "Why It Matters" engages students at the start of each chapter and “Unanswered Questions” demonstrate the dynamic nature of Biology with current research. Active learning opportunities include “Think Outside the Book,” “Design an Experiment,” “Discuss the Concepts,” and “Apply Evolutionary Thinking.”
- PERSONALIZATION: MindTap is the most easily personalized online solution in Biology. Add your favorite resources, YouTube videos, web links, and more. You know what’s best for your students and you can deliver it with MindTap!
- CONCEPTUAL UNDERSTANDING: Clear explanations of concepts presented from the evolutionary perspective bind the biological sciences together and enable students to see the big picture. “Closer Look” figures visually summarize major concepts. MindTap enables students to go beyond rote memorization with conceptual activities.
UNIT ONE: MOLECULES AND CELLS.
2. Life, Chemistry, and Water.
3. Biological Molecules: The Carbon Compounds of Life.
5. Membranes and Transport.
6. Energy, Enzymes, and Biological Reactions.
7. Cellular Respiration: Harvesting Chemical Energy.
9. Cell Communication.
10. Cell Division and Mitosis.
UNIT TWO: GENETICS.
11. Meiosis: The Cellular Basis of Sexual Reproduction.
12. Mendel, Genes, and Inheritance.
13. Genes, Chromosomes, and Human Genetics.
14. DNA Structure, Replication, and Organization.
15. From DNA to Protein.
16. Regulation of Gene Expression.
17. Bacterial and Viral Genetics.
18. DNA Technologies: Making and Using Genetically Altered Organisms, and Other Applications.
19. Genomes and Proteomes.
UNIT THREE: EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY.
20. The Development of Evolutionary Thought.
21. Microevolution: Genetic Changes within Populations.
23. Paleobiology and Macroevolution.
24. Systematic Biology: Phylogeny and Classification.
UNIT FOUR: BIODIVERSITY.
25. The Origin of Life.
26. Prokaryotes and Viruses.
28. Seedless Plants.
29. Seed Plants.
31. Animal Phylogeny, Acoelomates, and Protostomes.
32. Deuterostomes: Vertebrates and Their Closest Relatives.
UNIT FIVE: PLANT STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION.
33. The Plant Body.
34. Transport in Plants.
35. Plant Nutrition.
36. Reproduction and Development in Flowering Plants.
37. Plant Signals and Responses to the Environment.
UNIT SIX: ANIMAL STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION.
38. Introduction to Animal Organization and Physiology.
39. Information Flow and the Neuron.
40. Nervous Systems.
41. Sensory Systems.
42. The Endocrine System.
43. Muscles, Bones, and Body Movements
44. The Circulatory System.
45. Defenses against Disease.
46. Gas Exchange: The Respiratory System.
47. Animal Nutrition.
48. Regulating the Internal Environment.
49. Animal Reproduction.
50. Animal Development.
UNIT SEVEN: ECOLOGY AND BEHAVIOR.
51. Ecology and the Biosphere.
52. Population Ecology.
53. Population Interactions and Community Ecology.
55. Biodiversity and Conservation Biology.
56. Animal Behavior.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access