Request for consultation
Solomon/Berg/Martin, BIOLOGY -- often described as the best majors text for LEARNING biology -- is also a complete teaching program. The superbly integrated, inquiry-based learning system guides students through every chapter. Key concepts appear clearly at the beginning of each chapter and learning objectives start each section. Students then review the key points at the end of each section before moving on to the next one. At the end of the chapter, a specially focused Summary provides further reinforcement of the learning objectives. The ninth edition offers expanded integration of the text's three guiding themes of biology (evolution, information transfer, and energy for life) and innovative online and multimedia resources for students and instructors.
- NEW Expanded integration of the text's three guiding themes of biology -- evolution, information transfer, and energy for life -- in the new chapter opening essays, narrative, summaries, and concept links.
- NEW "Research Method" figures expand upon visual and concise coverage of the essential experiments and processes in biology and the process of science.
- NEW Increased emphasis and examples on evolution throughout the text.
- NEW End of chapter "Science, Technology, and Society" questions that apply the material to relevant issues and develop critical thinking skills.
- NEW Enhanced and updated coverage throughout, including a new separate chapter on viruses.
- NEW Enhanced and Improved Art Program for better student learning.
- The robust art program clearly illustrates concepts and animated figures enable students to interact with the material online to reinforce their understanding.
- Time-saving teaching resources include PowerLecture (a one-stop tool that makes creating interest-grabbing multimedia lectures an easy process), online resources and homework, and more.
- The inquiry-based learning system guides students through every chapter. Reinforcing the learning system, "Key Point" statements accompany many figures and "Key Experiment" sections encourage students to evaluate investigative approaches that real scientists have taken.
- "Inquiring About" boxes explore issues relevant to students' lives, providing a forum for discussing topics of current interest in more detail. Hundreds of examples throughout the book demonstrate the connections between the laboratory and real life.
- Strong end-of-chapter support drives critical thinking and review, offering detailed Summary with Key Terms sections, Analyzing Data, Evolution Links, and Critical Thinking questions.
23. Understanding Diversity: Systematics.
25. Bacteria and Archaea.
26. The Protists.
27. The Plant Kingdom: Seedless Plants.
28. The Plant Kingdom: Seed Plants.
29. Kingdom Fungi.
30. The Animal Kingdom: An Introduction to Animal Diversity.
31. The Animal Kingdom: The Protostomes.
32. The Animal Kingdom: The Deuterostomes.
Part VI: STRUCTURE AND LIFE PROCESSES IN PLANTS.
33. Plant Structure, Growth, and Differentiation.
34. Leaf Structure and Function.
35. Stems and Transport.
36. Roots and Mineral Nutrition.
37. Reproduction in Flowering Plants.
38. Growth Responses and Regulation Growth.
Part VII: STRUCTURE AND LIFE PROCESSES IN ANIMALS.
39. The Animal Body: An Introduction to Structure and Function.
40. Protection, Support, and Movement.
41. Neural Signaling.
42. Neural Regulation.
43. Sensory Systems.
44. Internal Transport.
45. Internal Defense.
46. Gas Exchange.
47. Processing Food and Nutrition.
48. Osmoregulation and Disposal of Metabolic Wastes.
49. Endocrine Regulation.
51. Animal Development.
Part VIII: THE INTERACTIONS OF LIFE: ECOLOGY.
52. Animal Behavior.
53. Introduction to Ecology: Population Ecology.
54. Community Ecology.
55. Ecosystems and the Biosphere.
56. Ecology and the Geography of Life.
57. Conservation Biology.
Appendix A: Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix B: Classification of Organisms.
Appendix C: Understanding Biological Terms.
Appendix D: Abbreviations.
Appendix E: Answers to the Test Your Understanding Questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Electronic Test Bank
Online Instructor's Manual
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
The most interactive Study Guide available for this course, this valuable resource includes multiple-choice questions and a variety of exercises that suit your students' different cognitive learning styles.
Audio Study Tools, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
Audio Study Tools give students brief summaries, common misconceptions, critical-thinking questions, and key-term reviews for fundamental concepts. These audio files can also be downloaded from the web to any MP3 player-perfect for students with alternative learning styles and for ESL students.
Helping you to do your best on exams and excel in the biology course, the Study Guide contains many types of questions and a variety of exercises for each chapter in the textbook.
Audio Study Tools, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
Audio Study Tools provide brief summaries, common misconceptions, critical-thinking questions, and key-term reviews for fundamental concepts. These audio files can also be downloaded from the web to any MP3 player.