Request for consultation
Introduce your students to the latest developments in biotechnology and genomics with this bestselling text for the one-term course. Known for its logical organization, appropriate depth of coverage, and vibrant illustrations, BIOCHEMISTRY, 9th Edition, helps students synthesize the glut of information that has flooded the field since the decoding of the human genome, while showing them how biochemistry principles connect to their everyday lives. It incorporates current developments in Alzheimer’s research, RNA drug therapy, gene editing with CRISPR-Cas9, and revised coverage of topics such as aging, stem cell therapies, and G-coupled protein receptors. In-text features, like “Hot Topics” and “Biochemical Connections”, reflect the latest advances in the field -- and demonstrate how biochemistry applies to other fields like health and sports medicine. Problem sets, categorized by problem type, help students master chemistry and prepare for exams.
- HOT TOPIC ARTICLES. Four NEW "Hot Topic" articles and five updated Hot Topics describe the latest advances in biochemistry and show students how biochemistry is relevant and important to our lives. Appearing at the end of select chapters where their relevance is immediately apparent, Hot Topic articles are also available online in the MindTap Reader, which features 9 articles describing exciting new developments in biochemistry. The Hot Topics are great to inspire in-class discussions or can be assigned for student presentations.
- ART and DESIGN PROGRAM. The book's vibrant, state-of-the art visual program has been revised to even better help students visualize key processes and understand important topics. The visual style and format of the art, a hallmark of the text, has been updated to better appeal to students and is designed to improve student learning outcomes.
- NEW BIOCHEMICAL CONNECTIONS. Several new Biochemical Connections, integrated into the text, demonstrate how biochemistry topics relate to the real world in high-interest areas such as allied health, sports medicine, and biotechnology. These relevant content examples are meant to be read with the narrative, but they are specially written in a magazine-style voice that livens the narrative like crescendos to keep student interest at a high level and to show them how biochemistry is a part of them and their daily lives.
- BULLETED SUMMARIES. New bulleted summaries provide students with a more aesthetic at-a-glance review of the chapters that is more visually engaging.
- UPDATED COVERAGE. Each chapter in the text has been updated with the latest developments and scientific findings in the biochemistry field.
- PROVEN IN-TEXT LEARNING AIDS. Concise summaries and a broad selection of problems and exercises, as well as an annotated bibliography at the close of each chapter, help students review and apply what they've learned.
- MARGINAL GLOSSARY. Per student and faculty requests, the marginal glossary featured on each page makes it easier for students to learn key terms and understand concepts while reading the narrative.
- END-OF-CHAPTER PROBLEM SETS. The book's exceptionally strong and varied end-of-chapter questions are grouped by question type and include references to section numbers to help students prepare for exams.
- INTEGRATION WITH OWL. Improve student learning outcomes with OWLv2, the #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry! Developed by chemistry instructors, OWLv2 offers consolidated course materials with simplified reporting and gradebook features; easy assignment creation and management; personalized study tools that address different student needs and learning styles; and MindTap Reader, an eBook with apps and embedded video, audio, annotations, and activities. For this course, OWLv2 also includes iPad-compatible visualizations, tutorials, and simulations.
- Q&A FEATURES. Student-friendly Q&A features, interspersed throughout the text where questions naturally arise for students, help students learn key biochemistry concepts more efficiently and organically.
- APPLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE BOXES. Interspersed within chapters, these boxes give students critical problem-solving experience.
- BIOCHEMICAL CONNECTION BOXES. These boxes demonstrate how biochemistry topics relate to the real world in such high-interest areas as allied health, sports medicine, and biotechnology.
2. Water: The Solvent for Biochemical Reactions.
3. Amino Acids and Peptides.
4. The Three-Dimensional Structure of Proteins.
5. Protein Purification and Characterization Techniques.
6. The Behavior of Proteins: Enzymes.
7. The Behavior of Proteins: Enzymes, Mechanisms, and Control.
8. Lipids and Proteins Are Associated in Biological Membranes.
9. Nucleic Acids: How Structure Conveys Information.
10. Biosynthesis of Nucleic Acids: Replication.
11. Transcription of the Genetic Code: The Biosynthesis of RNA.
12. Protein Synthesis: Translation of the Genetic Message.
13. Nucleic Acid Biotechnology Techniques.
14. Viruses, Cancer and Immunology.
15. The Importance of Energy Changes and Electron Transfer in Metabolism.
18. Storage Mechanisms and Control in Carbohydrate Metabolism.
19. The Citric Acid Cycle.
20. Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation.
21. Lipid Metabolism.
23. The Metabolism of Nitrogen.
24. Integration of Metabolism: Cellular Signaling.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.