Request for consultation
Well known for accuracy, Soo Tan’s APPLIED CALCULUS FOR THE MANAGERIAL, LIFE, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES, Tenth Edition balances applications, pedagogy, and technology to provide students the context they need to stay motivated in the course and interested in the material. Accessible for majors and non-majors alike, the text uses an intuitive approach that introduces abstract concepts through examples drawn from common, real-life experiences to which students can relate. It also draws applications from readers’ fields of interest. In addition, insightful Portfolios highlight the careers of real people and discuss how they incorporate math into their daily professional activities. Numerous exercises ensure that students have a solid understanding of concepts before advancing to the next topic. Algebra review notes, keyed to the review chapter Preliminaries, appear where and when students need them.
- New and updated applications.
- New and updated examples.
- New and updated exercises.
- Thorough: Detailed illustrations support examples and exercises, ensuring student understanding. "Explore and Discuss" questions take concepts a step further and spark student discussion. Other pedagogical tools that help students master the material include "Self-Check" exercises in every section, "Notes" to clarify mathematical ideas, and "Cautions" that highlight common pitfalls.
- Motivating real-world applications: With more than 100 new and updated applications, Tan’s exercises build student interest and illustrate the real-world relevance of mathematics.
- WEBASSIGN: APPLIED CALCULUS FOR THE MANAGERIAL, LIFE, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES. 10th Edition, is the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning the math. WebAssign includes new end-of-chapter exercises and pre-built assignments vetted by trusted subject matter experts along with robust course, section, assignment, and question settings and online testing to help instructors foster a deeper understanding of course concepts.
- Algebra review when it’s needed: A Diagnostic Test begins the Preliminaries chapter, offering students a chance to see which algebra skills they need to review before beginning regular coursework. Additionally, algebra review notes, keyed to the review chapter, appear where and when students need them.
- Study Tabs that work: Convenient color-coded Study Tabs, similar to Post-It® notes, make it easy for students to flag pages that they want to revisit later.
- Math for life: Real-world applications in the areas of business, economics, behavioral, life, physical, and social sciences bring relevance to mathematical results and make chapter concepts come to life for students. In addition, Portfolio interviews show how professionals use mathematics in their daily activities. Applied examples are clearly marked with photo icons that link them to the list of applications.
- Flexibility: Optional coverage offers instructors different ways to tailor technology to their course needs. For example, "Using Technology" sections show how graphing utilities can facilitate the analysis and solution of complicated problems. "Exploring with Technology" boxes throughout the text offer students the opportunity to use technology to further explore mathematical concepts. And, "Modeling with Data" exercises, featured in many of the "Using Technology" subsections, show students how some of the functions found in the exercises are constructed.
- Complete exercise sets: Section exercise sets include "Concept" questions, and chapter reviews contain fill-in-the-blank "Concept Review" questions. Additional routine and true-false questions have been added as well.
Precalculus Review I. Precalculus Review II. The Cartesian Coordinate System. Straight Lines.
2. FUNCTIONS, LIMITS, AND THE DERIVATIVE.
Functions and Their Graphs. The Algebra of Functions. Functions and Mathematical Models. Limits. One-Sided Limits and Continuity. The Derivative.
Basic Rules of Differentiation. The Product and Quotient Rules. The Chain Rule. Marginal Functions in Economics. Higher-Order Derivatives. Implicit Differentiation and Related Rates. Differentials.
4. APPLICATIONS OF THE DERIVATIVE.
Applications of the First Derivative. Applications of the Second Derivative. Curve Sketching. Optimization I. Optimization II.
5. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Compound Interest. Differentiation of Exponential Functions. Differentiation of Logarithmic Functions. Exponential Functions as Mathematical Models.
Antiderivatives and the Rules of Integration. Integration by Substitution. Area and the Definite Integral. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Evaluating Definite Integrals. Area between Two Curves. Applications of the Definite Integral to Business and Economics.
7. ADDITIONAL TOPICS IN INTEGRATION.
Integration by Parts. Integration Using Tables of Integrals. Numerical Integration. Improper Integrals. Volumes of Solids of Revolution.
8. CALCULUS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
Functions of Several Variables. Partial Derivatives. Maxima and Minima of Functions of Several Variables. The Method of Least Squares. Constrained Maxima and Minima and the Method of Lagrange Multipliers. Total Differentials. Double Integrals. Applications of Double Integrals.
9. DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Differential Equations. Separation of Variables. Applications of Separable Differential Equations. Approximate Solutions of Differential Equations.
10. PROBABILITY AND CALCULUS.
Probability Distributions of Random Variables. Expected Value and Standard Deviation. Normal Distributions.
11. TAYLOR POLYNOMIALS AND INFINITE SERIES.
Taylor Polynomials. Infinite Sequences. Infinite Series. Series with Positive Numbers. Power Series and Taylor Series. More on Taylor Series. Newton’s Method.
12. TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS.
Measurement of Angles. The Trigonometric Functions. Differentiation of Trigonometric Functions. Integration of Trigonometric Functions
The Inverse of a Function. The Graphs of Inverse Functions. Functions That Have Inverses. Finding the Inverse of a Function.
Indeterminate Forms and l’Hôpital’s Rule. The Indeterminate Forms 0/0 and infinity/infinity.
The Standard Normal Distribution.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Student Solutions Manual
This includes worked-out solutions for selected exercises in the textbook, as well as problem-solving strategies, additional algebra steps, and review for selected problems