Request for consultation
All volumes of ANTHOLOGY FOR MUSIC IN WESTERN CIVILIZATION by Wright, Simms, and Roden contain scores representing all the major European styles, genres, and composers. The anthologies include an introduction to, a score for, and (where applicable) lyrics and translation for each piece discussed in the text MUSIC IN WESTERN CIVILIZATION and included in its CD set. It is available in a two- and a three-volume set to provide instructors with maximum flexibility. It can also be customized through TextChoice.
- The anthology provides an introduction to pieces discussed in the text MUSIC IN WESTERN CIVILIZATION. These introductions go into greater detail on the points explored in the text for each piece.
- Complete scores for each piece are included, and where applicable, lyrics and translation follow the score.
- To provide professors with maximum flexibility, the Anthology is available in a two- as well as a three- volume set. Volume 1 covers chapters 1 through 40, and Volume 2 covers chapters 41 through 83. Volume A covers chapters 1 through 28, Volume B covers chapters 29 through 51 and Volume C covers chapters 52 through 83. The anthology can also be customized through TextChoice.
30. The Birth of Opera: Florence, Mantua, and Venice.
Peri, EURIDICE, "Funeste piagge." Caccini, LE NUOVE MUSICHE, FILLI, MIRANDO IL CIELO. Monteverdi, ORFEO, "Toccata," "A l''amara novella," "Tu se'' morta," "Possente spirto." Monteverdi, L''INCORONAZIONE DI POPPEA, "Pur ti miro."
31. The Concerted Style in Venice and Dresden.
Gabrieli, IN ECCLESIIS. Monteverdi, HOR CHE ''L CIEL ET LA TERRA. Strozzi, L''AMANTE SECRETO: VOGLIO MORIRE. Schütz, SAUL, SAUL, WAS VERFOLGST DU MICH?
32. Religious Music in Baroque Rome.
Allegri, MISERERE MEI, DEUS. Anonymous, KYRIE of the MISSA SALISBURGENSIS. Frescobaldi, FIORI MUSICALI, "Toccata," KYRIE, "Ricercar."
Carissimi, JEPHTE, "Plorate, filii Israel." Scarlatti, Cantata OH DI BETLEMME, "Oh di Betlemme," "Dal bel seno d''una stella."
33. Instrumental Music in Italy.
Rossi, SONATA SOPRA L''ARIA DI RUGGIERO. Corelli, Opus 4, No. 1, PRELUDIO, CORRENTE, ADAGIO, ALLEMANDA. Torelli, Trumpet Sinfonia in D major. Vivaldi, L''ESTRO ARMONICO, 1st mvt..
34. Instrumental Music in Germany and Austria.
Froberger, Suite No. 12, ALLEMANDE, COURANTE, SARABAND, GIGUE. Biber, "Mystery" Sonatas, THE RESURRECTION. Buxtehude, WIE SCHÖN LEUCTET DER MORGENSTERN. Pachelbel, WIE SCHÖN LEUCTET DER MORGENSTERN. Pachelbel, Canon in D major.
35. Music in Paris and at the Court of Versailles, Part I: Vocal Music.
Lully, ARMIDE, Overture, "Enfin, il est en ma puissance." Jacquet de La Guerre, JEPHTÉ, "Jephté revient," "La Fille de Jephté."
36. Music in Paris and at the Court of Versailles, Part II: Instrumental Music.
Gaultier, LA RHÉTORIQUE DES DIEUX, TOMBEAU DE MADAMOISELLE GAULTIER. Couperin, PIÈCES DE CLAVECIN, LA FAVORITE, L''ARLEQUINE.
37. Music in London, Part I: Henry Purcell.
Purcell, DIDO AND AENEAS, "Thy hand Belinda," "When I am Laid in Earth." Purcell, COME, YE SONS OF ART, "Come, ye sons of art," "Sound the trumpet." Purcell, Funeral Music for Queen Mary, March, Canzona.
38. Music in London, Part II: George Frideric Handel.
Handel, WATER MUSIC, Minuet and Trio, Hornpipe. Handel, GIULIO CESARE, "V''adoro, pupille." Handel, MESSIAH, "He shall feed his flock," "Hallelujah" chorus.
39. Johann Sebastian Bach: Instrumental Music in Weimar and Cöthen.
Bach, ORGELBÜCHLEIN, "In dulci jubilo," "Durch Adams Fall." Bach, THE WELL-TEMPERED CLAVIER, Prelude and Fugue in C minor. Bach, BRANDENBURG CONCERTO No. 5, 1st mvt.
40. Johann Sebastian Bach: Vocal Music in Leipzig.
Bach, WACHET AUF (complete cantata). Bach, B-Minor Mass, CREDO, "Crucifixus," " Et resurrexit."
PART V: THE ENLIGHTENMENT AND THE CLASSICAL ERA.
41. Music in the Age of Enlightenment: Opera.
Hasse, CLEOFIDE, "Digli ch''io son fedele." Gay, THE BEGGAR''S OPERA, dialogue and songs from Act I. Pergolesi, LA SERVA PADRONA, "Lo conosco." Rousseau, LE DEVIN DU VILLAGE, "À jamais Colin." Gluck, ORFEO ED EURIDICE, "Deh placatevi," "Misero giovane," "Ahimè! Dove trascorsi?" "Che faro senza Euridice."
42. Music in the Age of Enlightenment: Orchestral Music.
Sammartini, Symphony No. 3, 1st mvt. Stamitz, Symphony in E-flat major, 1st mvt.
43. Music in the Age of Enlightenment: Keyboard Music.
Scarlatti, ESSERCIZI, Sonata No. 26. C. P. E. Bach, FANTASIA in C minor. J. C. Bach, Piano Sonata, 1st mvt.
45. Joseph Haydn: Instrumental Music.
Haydn, Symphony No. 6, 1st mvt. Haydn, Op. 33, No. 3, "The Bird" Quartet, 1st mvt.
46. Joseph Haydn: Late Symphonies and Vocal Music.
Haydn, Symphony No. 94, The "Surprise," 2nd mvt. Haydn, Symphony No. 99, 1st mvt. Haydn, THE CREATION, "The Heavens Are Telling."
47. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Instrumental Music.
Mozart, Symphony No. 40, 1st mvt. Mozart, Symphony No. 41, "Jupiter," 4th mvt. Mozart, Piano Concerto in A major, 1st mvt.
48. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Vocal Music.
Mozart, LE NOZZE DI FIGARO, "Se vuol ballare," "Porgi, amor," "Voi, che sapete," "Vostre dunque." Mozart, Requiem Mass, "Confutatis," "Lacrimosa."
49. The Early Music of Beethoven.
Beethoven, Piano Sonata in C minor ("Pathétique"), 1st mvt. Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 1, 3rd mvt.
50. Beethoven''s Middle Period: 1802-1814.
Beethoven, Symphony No. 3 (EROICA), 2nd mvt.
51. After the Congress of Vienna: Beethoven''s Late Music.
Beethoven, String Quartet in B-flat major, 5th mvt. Beethoven, MISSA SOLEMNIS, KYRIE.
"These are skills that I find lacking in many of our incoming graduate students. While they tend to be adept at identifying styles and composers in listening exams, they tend to freeze up when a score is put in front of them. … The proposed anthology goes a long way toward helping to address this general shortcoming in the training of undergraduate music majors."
"I would be highly likely to use the anthology should I adopt the textbook. … The choice of examples seems a good mix of pieces that are discussed in many textbooks."
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.