Request for consultation
ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY FOR SPEECH, LANGUAGE, AND HEARING, Fifth Edition, provides a solid foundation in anatomical and physiological principles relevant to communication sciences and disorders. Ideal for speech-language pathology and audiology students, as well as practicing clinicians, the text integrates clinical information with everyday experiences to reveal how anatomy and physiology relate to the speech, language, and hearing systems. Combining comprehensive coverage with abundant, full-color illustrations and a strong practical focus, the text makes complex material approachable even for students with little or no background in anatomy and physiology. Thoroughly updated to reflect current trends, techniques, and best practices, the Fifth Edition of this acclaimed text is supported by innovative Anatesse learning software—now accessible online via PC, Mac, and tablet devices—featuring tutorials, interactive quizzes, and other resources to help students of all learning styles master the material and prepare for professional licensing exams.
- Completely revised physiology of swallowing now includes updated views of infant development, the stages of swallowing, and neurophysiological underpinnings of the process.
- A broadened discussion of the instrumentation associated with all the systems of communication conveys the richness of the research within the fields.
- New research covering the very latest industry trends and technology is highlighted through revised sections covering articulatory and auditory physiology, along with new and expanded content on the effects of aging, neuroimaging, and the DIVA model.
- Many new images have been added, encouraging a clear and accurate understanding of the classical framework of the speech, language, and hearing systems.
- Clinical Notes boxes link anatomy and physiology with disorders seen by speech-language pathologists and audiologists to provide real-world applications for students.
- Fully revised ANATESSE software is now platform neutral and internet-based, providing on-the-go learning, with new labs, simulations, and updates to content. Anatesse now offers gradebook functionality with reporting for student scores and time spent on task. Experience the classic systems three dimensionally with animations that explore the important processes of hearing, phonation, respiration, swallowing, and more.
- The authors have included more than 300 full-color anatomical images to help students form a clear, accurate understanding of the classical framework of the speech, language, and hearing systems.
- Clinical Notes boxes throughout the text explore disorders seen by speech-language pathologists and audiologists, providing valuable real-world context for anatomy and physiology principles covered in the chapters.
- Students can take advantage of interactive study resources (Anatesse, MindTap) designed with today’s digital learners in mind; highlights include auto-graded quizzes, image labeling activities, crossword puzzles, matching exercises, multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank questions, flash cards, and animations.
- Multimedia animations support more rapid learning and deeper understanding by enabling exploration of anatomy and physiology relevant to hearing, phonation, respiration, swallowing, and other key processes.
- With its comprehensive coverage and practical focus, this acclaimed text provides speech-language pathology and audiology students with a thorough introduction to the specific aspects of anatomy and physiology relevant to their fields.
- Featuring detailed clinical information, full-color illustrations, and practical examples and applications, the text is ideal for students of all backgrounds, professionals, and licensed clinicians in need of a reliable reference.
2. Anatomy of Respiration.
3. Physiology of Respiration.
4. Anatomy of Phonation.
5. Physiology of Phonation.
6. Anatomy of Articulation and Resonation.
7. Physiology of Articulation and Resonation.
8. Physiology of Mastication and Deglutition.
9. Anatomy of Hearing.
10. Auditory Physiology.
Appendix A: Anatomical Terms.
Appendix B: Useful Combining Forms.
Appendix C: Muscles of Respiration.
Appendix D: Muscles of Phonation.
Appendix E: Muscles of Face, Soft Palate, and Pharynx.
Appendix F: Sensors.
Appendix G: Cranial Nerves.
Appendix H: Pathologies that Affect Speech Production.
"The content of these chapters is theoretically sound and accurate. The material is thorough and very up to date. The material has considerable depth. The chapters are very thorough. The chapters have been updated to reflect recent technology (e.g. use of neuroimaging, use of ultrasound). The chapters have also been updated to reflect recent research. The text is very rich with elements to break up the material and provide multidimensional learning opportunities. In addition to the outlines and study guides, there are margin definitions/pointers and inset information boxes, Anatesse lessons."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource
The Instructor Companion Website to Accompany Anatomy & Physiology of Speech, Language, and Hearing, Fifth Edition, contains a variety of tools to help instructors successfully prepare lectures and teach within this subject area. This comprehensive package provides something for all instructors, from those teaching anatomy and physiology for the first time to seasoned instructors who want something new. The following components in the website are free to adopters of the text: A downloadable and customizable Instructor’s Manual containing a syllabus with materials and suggested activities for the lecture; and lab guides to facilitate learning outside of the classroom. A Computerized Test Bank with approximately 1,000 questions and answers, for use in instructor-created quizzes and tests.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want. Start right away! Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads needed. Create tests from school, home, the coffee shop – anywhere with Internet access. What will you find? Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. Full-featured test generator. Create ideal assessments with your choice of 15 question types (including true/false, multiple choice, opinion scale/likert, and essay). Multi-language support, an equation editor and unlimited metadata help ensure your tests are complete and compliant. Cross-compatible capability. Import and export content into other systems.
Anatesse Software Instant Access
Fully revised ANATESSE software is now platform neutral and internet-based, providing on-the-go learning, with new labs, simulations, and updates to content. Anatesse now offers gradebook functionality with reporting for student scores and time spent on task. Experience the classic systems three dimensionally with animations that explore the important processes of hearing, phonation, respiration, swallowing, and more.
Anatesse Software Instant Access
Anatesse software is available to purchasers of the text and can be accessed through the Premium Website at www.CengageBrain.com. Anatesse software is your true partner in learning. These labs give you the opportunity to examine structures and functions of the speech mechanism in the more flexible environment of your personal computer. The ANATESSE software is keyed to the text, reinforcing identification of the structures presented during lecture, but more importantly illustrating the function of those structures. An icon in the margin of the text indicates that you’ll find a related lesson on ANATESSE, where you can examine speech physiology through the interactive manipulation of the structures under study, and learn the relationship of the body parts and how they function together.The ANATESSE software labs are self-paced, with frequent quizzes to help you examine the effectiveness of your study habits. If you spend two or three half-hour sessions per week with the ANATESSE software, you will get the greatest benefit from your classes and readings. The software will also prove a great refresher in preparing for quizzes and examinations.