Request for consultation
For the first time in more than fifteen years AN INTRODUCTION TO ENGLISH GRAMMAR is available in a revised edition. In the fifth edition of this renowned advanced grammar textbook, the new author Dallin D. Oaks of Brigham Young University has preserved Stageberg’s clear and concise linguistic approach to grammar instruction while updating the text for the 1990s advanced grammar student. Updated chapter material includes revised examples of an exercises for the material studied and the use of tree diagrams. In addition, the fifth edition emphasizes the significance of English grammar in speech and composition in two new chapters: Usage and Language Variation: Historical, Regional, and Social. Two new appendices--A Basic Introduction to Tree Diagramming and An Introduction to Transformational Grammar--provide further instruction regarding the use of tree diagrams and an overview of Transformational Generative-Grammar. As in previous editions, AN INTRODUCTION TO ENGLISH GRAMMAR, Fifth Edition, provides a linguistic approach to grammar instruction that can be used to teach both advanced grammar and composition as well as non-major introductory linguistics courses.
2. Assimilation and Other Phonetic Processes.
3. Spelling and Pronunciation.
5. Pitch Level and Terminals.
6. Internal Open Juncture.
10. Processes of Word Formation.
11. Inflectional Paradigms.
12. Parts of Speech: Form Classes.
13. Parts of Speech: Structure Classes.
14. Noun and Verb Phrases and Grammatical Functions.
15. Basic Sentence Patterns.
16. Parts of Speech: Positional Classes.
19. Language Variation: Historical, Regional, and Social.