Request for consultation
This book offers a broad introduction to educational policies, programs, practices, and services appropriate for children birth through age eight with delays or disabilities and their families. It also does an exceptional job of addressing the issue of young children who are at-risk for future problems in learning and development. Through a host of evidence-based intervention and instructional techniques and additional related resources--including a website--the book guides students to a full understanding of important theoretical and philosophical foundations in serving children with delays or disabilities. These foundations include, but are not limited to, evidence-based decision making, developmentally and individually appropriate practices, a holistic view of young children and their families, cultural responsiveness, and activity-based intervention. The book emphasizes intervention and instructional strategies necessary for creating inclusive learning environments, and offers recommendations throughout for using technology in the learning environment. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Chapter 10, "Contemporary Issues and Challenges in Early Childhood Special Education," is thoroughly revised and updated. New and increased coverage includes material on such important topics as English Language Learners, Linguistic Diversity, Bilingual Education, RTI (Response to Intervention), Assistive Technology, Universal Design for Learning (UDL), and Poverty and its impact on young children with special needs.
- Increased coverage of evidence-based practices includes designing interventions, assessments, and curriculum, helping to give students practical and important information for working with children with special needs.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- More coverage of family-based practice allows readers to fully understand the importance of working with the entire family, and offers practical ways of doing so.
- Increased coverage of cultural responsiveness as it relates to assessment and curriculum provides important considerations for working with children from diverse backgrounds.
- The latest recommended intervention strategies help to equip students for practice.
- New TeachSource Videos, introduced in the text and viewable at Education CourseMate, the book's website, bring concepts to life by showing actual classroom scenarios related to such topics as early childhood RTI, inclusion, and inclusive environments.
- A "Parent's Voice" feature helps students understand the realities that parents and families face when raising children with special needs.
- Listings of related websites provide additional sources of information and expansion of key concepts.
- Educational vignettes aid in comprehension and in translating theory to practice.
- A DEC standards integration grid makes it easy for students to connect the standards with topics in the text.
- The book is updated with the latest research and ideas relating to caring with children with special needs.
- A "Making Connections" feature throughout the text highlights three young children with special needs, providing readers with practical insight into the realities of caring for them.
1. Foundations of Early Childhood Special Education.
2. The Context of Early Childhood Special Education.
3. Family-Based Early Childhood Services.
Part II: ASSESSMENT AND PLANNING FOR YOUNG CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS.
4. Assessment of Young Children with Special Needs.
5. Delivering Services to Young Children with Special Needs.
6. Curriculum for Young Children with Special Needs.
Part III: ORGANIZATION AND INTERVENTION FOR YOUNG CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS.
7. Designing Learning Environments for Young Children with Special Needs.
8. Adapting the Learning Environment for Young Children with Special Needs.
9. Strategies for Teaching Young Children with Special Needs.
Part IV: CONTEMPORARY ISSUES AND CHALLENGES IN EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION.
10. Contemporary Issues and Challenges in Early Childhood Special Education.
"This text is well written and comprehensively covers topics and issues relevant for early childhood special education."
"A solid and well-designed introduction for early childhood special education. It puts the focus where it should be--on the student and not on the teacher."