Request for consultation
This robust learning package integrates keyboarding, essential word processing, document formatting basics, and communication skills within a single text, along with a strong emphasis on honing skills by completing projects in a realistic office environment . Using Microsoft® Word 2016, students will format memos, letters, tables, and reports; work with graphics; and practice real-time co-authoring on OneDrive. The text includes six modular projects and one comprehensive project to help students apply what they learn and prepare to be productive immediately when beginning their careers. Combined with Skills Assessment Manager (SAM)—an interactive, online learning and testing tool—the text makes your course easier to teach and manage by enabling students to work independently from anywhere.
- The text includes up-to-date coverage of Microsoft® Word 2016 and Windows® 10, giving students exposure to current versions of essential software, along with a greater emphasis on critical productivity commands and decreased attention to less frequently used options.
- Skills Assessment Manager (SAM), an interactive, online learning and testing tool, is now available for use in conjunction with the printed text, giving you access to powerful teaching and course management capabilities while allowing students to work independently when and where they like.
- Skill Builders now include new standard plans for using timed writings, building speed, and improving accuracy; updated instructions in drills and timed writings enable students to apply these plans and gain hands-on, practical experience.
- Coverage of new features in Windows® 10 and Microsoft® Word 2016, including Save to Cloud, Share, and co-authoring in real time.
- Graphics modules now incorporate online pictures and videos to bring the content to life, while Communicating Today features highlight important industry trends and their relation to productivity tools found in Microsoft® Word 2016.
- Quick Check features provide a visual thumbnail solution to help students either confirm that they are proceeding correctly, or recognize notable missteps and adjust as necessary.
- The authors employ a proven, pedagogically sound approach to teach word processing and document formatting using five steps: Locate and learn commands (Ribbon path), Execute commands (step-by-step directions and screenshots), Apply new commands (short drills), Integrate document design (full-page models), and Reinforce commands and formats in realistic projects.
- With a research-based, pedagogically sound approach to teaching keyboarding and skill building, the text includes a standard plan for learning new key reaches, carefully written drills to build fluency and strengthen key reaches, and supplemental drills and timed writings to strengthen and refine keyboarding skills, as well as illustrations, photos, and tips to reinforce correct techniques.
- An extensive Reference Guide covers grammatical rules and guidelines and includes a range of model documents, giving students consistent examples to use as a standard for their work. Communication activities, based on rules outlined in the Reference Guide, further reinforce essential business communication skills and prepare students for academic and job success.
- Six projects conclude key modules, giving students an opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills to realistic workplace scenarios, while one comprehensive project integrates critical thinking, document formatting, and word processing skills.
Know Your Computer.
Part I: KEYBOARDING—DEVELOPING KEYBOARDING SKILL.
1. Alphabetic Keys (L1-13).
2. Figure and Symbol Keys (L14-25).
Part II: ESSENTIALS--FORMATTING BUSINESS DOCUMENTS.
3. Word 2016 Essentials (L26-31).
4. Memos and Letters (L32-37).
5. Tables (L38-42).
6. Reports (L43-49).
7. Graphics (L50-53).
8. Project: Palmetto Event Solutions, Inc. (L54-55).
9. Real-Time Co-Authoring on OneDrive.
Appendix A: Windows 10.
Appendix B: File Management.
Appendix C: Reference Guide.
Appendix D: Command Summary.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, instructor’s manual, test banks, solution files, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.