Request for consultation
ADMINISTRATION OF PROGRAMS FOR YOUNG CHILDREN is a tried and true guide for early childhood education students who want to be directors as well as a comprehensive resource for those who are already directors. The text emphasizes the role of leaders/managers and their function in relation to new staff, while simultaneously addressing the needs of children, parents, and other staff. Comprehensive coverage includes a wide variety of information about relevant program elements as well as methods and principles related to supervising student teachers, assistant teachers, teachers, parents, and volunteers. Real-life scenarios equip working directors with problem-solving techniques; readers also learn best practices in child care program management. Highlights include a fresh new design, a new chapter diversity, up-to-date technology information, and new TeachSource Videos integrated into each chapter.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- A new diversity chapter discusses ways that early childhood professionals can honor diversity in its many forms and become the inclusive organizations that both children and families deserve.
- Updated and expanded topics include staff retention, leadership tips, inclusion, and program quality.
- Health, safety, and maintenance coverage has been streamlined into one chapter.
- Technology coverage has been updated to discuss the role of technology in the classroom and communication with parents.
- A new easy-to-read design includes many photos and visuals as well as highlighted definitions to facilitate study and review.
- TeachSource Videos have been incorporated into each chapter to illustrate topics and best practices.
- Comprehensive coverage includes a wide variety of information about relevant program elements. The book also covers methods and principles related to supervising student teachers, assistant teachers, teachers, parents, and volunteers.
- Real-life scenarios equip working directors with problem-solving techniques; readers also learn best practices in child care program management.
- The text emphasizes the role of leaders/managers and their function in relation to new staff, while simultaneously addressing the needs of children, parents, and other staff.
1. The Director: A Broad View.
2. Diversity and Early Education.
3. Choices: Schools and Programs.
4. Administering Program Plans.
Part II: PLANNING: PROGRAM AND ENVIRONMENT.
5. Planning: Infants and Toddlers.
6. Planning: Preschool Age Children.
7. Planning: School Age Children.
8. Planning: Family Child Care.
Part III: STAFF.
9. Staff Selection/Personnel Policies.
10. Staff Supervision and Training.
Part IV: MANAGEMENT.
12. Nutrition, Health, and Safety for the Program.
13. Beginnings: A New Program/A New Year.
14. Including Families and the Community.
15. Maintaining Quality of Child Care.
Appendix A: Computerized Data Management.
Appendix B: Professional Organizations and Sources of Information.
Appendix C: Sources for Early Childhood Materials, Equipment, Supplies, and Books.
Appendix D: State Child-Care Licensing Agencies.
Appendix E: NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct.
“This text is well organized with current information concerning early childhood administration practices. It is well written and is a fast read. Excellent forms that can be used and modified for use in any center. It is good reference for any director to have.”
“This is a great text for those students interested in a Director's Credential or an Advanced Director's Credential. The text has everything you need to know and covers current topics in child care administration.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
These vibrant, Microsoft PowerPoint lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture, by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook!
The ExamView® testing software contains all of the items from the Test Bank in electronic format, enabling you to create customized tests in print or online.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access