Dealing with Challenges in Psychotherapy and Counseling, 1st Edition
- Christiane Brems University of Alaska, Anchorage
- ISBN-10: 0534364713
- ISBN-13: 9780534364717
- 338 Pages Paperback
- © 2000 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $118.00
This text provides a framework for handling tough clinical situations as they arise. It includes both the complexities of assessment issues that arise in special circumstances with a variety of clients as well as a number of general interventions that are relevant to all clients. The book provides a theory-free conceptual super-structure that can guide and ground readers in difficult situations regardless of theoretical beliefs. The author's underlying philosophy reflects the importance of taking a contextual approach with clients, viewing clients as collaborators in the therapeutic process, and recognizing that the client needs strategies other than the provider-client relationship that he/she can implement independently.
PART ONE: CHALLENGES ARISING DURING ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT PLANNING.
1. The Challenge of Meeting a New Client.
2. The Challenge of Substance Use.
3. The Challenge of Medial Involvement.
4. The Challenge of Psychological Complexity.
PART TWO: CHALLENGES ARISING DURING TREATMENT.
5. The Challenge of Crises: Assessment and Intervention.
6. The Challenge of Threats of Suicide: The Duty to Protect.
7. The Challenge of Threats of Violence: The Duty to Warn and Protect.
8. The Challenge of Child Abuse and Neglect: The Duty to Report.
PART THREE: TRANSCENDING THE CHALLENGES.
9. The Challenge of Preventing Burnout and Assuring Growth: Self Care.
Custom learning materials let you create a digital or print course solution in the style and format best
for you and your learners. Maximize engagement and achieve desired outcomes with the aid of our academic and
digital experts, who have years of experience helping instructors customize material to specific course needs.
Create your custom solution »