Basic Skills in Psychotherapy and Counseling, 1st Edition
- Christiane Brems University of Alaska, Anchorage
- ISBN-10: 053454942X
- ISBN-13: 9780534549428
- 448 Pages Hardcover
- © 2001 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $91.25
This engaging, straightforward, and easy-to-read text is designed to prepare students for beginning mental health practice by helping them develop an overall appreciation of counseling and psychotherapy, along with the basic skills they will need to work effectively with clients. Skill-building exercises throughout the text help students master four types of skills: personal and professional development skills (including cultural sensitivity), communication skills, skills associated with the client's thoughts (cognitive skills), and skills associated with the client's emotions (affective skills).
Part I: PRELIMINARY ISSUES.
1. Traits of Successful Therapists and Counselors.
2. Self-Awareness Skills.
3. Self-Care Skills.
Part II: SKILLS TO FACILITATE COMMUNICATION IN PSYCHOTHERAPY AND COUNSELING.
4. Attending Skills: Nonverbal Communication and Listening.
5. Questions to Encourage Communication.
6. Response Types: Verbal Communication and Client Disclosure.
7. Moving Beyond Simple Communication: The Process of Empathy.
Part III: SKILLS FOR COGNITIVE AWARENESS IN PSYCHOTHERAPY AND COUNSELING.
8. Working with Thought and Cognition: Overview and Basic Skills.
9. Working with Thought and Cognition: Advanced Interventions.
Part IV: SKILLS FOR AFFECTIVE AWARENESS IN PSYCHOTHERAPY AND COUNSELING.
10. Working with Affect and Emotion: Overview and Basic Skills.
11. Working with Affect and Emotion: Focus on the Body.
12. Working with Affect and Emotion: Focus on Feelings.
"Well written with excellent examples."
— Martha Sauter, McLennan Community College
"Bravo. . . I especially liked the taking care of the person of the therapist. This is seldom if ever seen in a text."
— Bob Egbert, Southern Adventist University
Custom learning materials let you create a digital or print course solution in the style and format best
for you and your learners. Maximize engagement and achieve desired outcomes with the aid of our academic and
digital experts, who have years of experience helping instructors customize material to specific course needs.
Create your custom solution »