Pirates Through the Ages: Primary Sources, 1st Edition
- Laurie Edwards
- Published By:
- ISBN-10: 1414486650
- ISBN-13: 9781414486659
- DDC: 910.4
- Shipping Weight: 1.75 lbs ( .79 kgs)
- 240 Pages | Print | Hardcover
- © 2011 | Published
Pirates Through the Ages Reference Library explores the history of piracy from ancient times to the present day. The set includes Almanac, Biographies and Primary Sources volumes, covering topics including piracy in antiquity and the Middle Ages; the golden age of piracy in the Caribbean; female pirates; the pirate code of conduct and pirate slang; strongholds and hideouts; ships, weaponry, and sea battles; pirates in literature and film, modern maritime piracy; and more. The set includes standard U·X·L® Reference Library features such as a chronology, glossary, research and activity ideas, and more. Also includes a comprehensive index.
Timeline of Events.
Words to Know.
1. ODYSSEUS'S RAID ON THE KIKONIANS.
Excerpt from Book IX of The Odyssey of Homer.
2. JULIUS CAESAR AND THE CILICIAN PIRATES.
Excerpt from Lives of Noble Grecians and Romans by Plutarch.
3. ENGLISH PRIVATEERS BATTLE THE SPANISH AT SAN JUAN DE ULU' A.
Excerpt from The Third Troublesome Voyage Made with the Jesus of Lu¨beck, the Minion and Four Other Ships to the Parts of Guinea and the West Indies, in the Years 1567 and 1568 by John Hawkins.
4. LETTER FROM A CAPTIVE OF THE CORSAIRS.
Full text of "Letter from Robert Adams to Captain Robert Adams".
5. THE BUCCANEERS OF AMERICA.
Excerpt from The Buccaneers of America by Alexander O. Exquemelin.
6. THE TRIAL OF ANNE BONNY AND MARY READ.
Excerpt from "Transcript of Bonny and Read's Trial".
7. BARTHOLOMEW ROBERTS'S SHIP'S ARTICLES.
Excerpt from "The Life of Captain Roberts" by Captain Charles Johnson.
8. THE LIFE OF CAPTAIN EVANS.
Full text of "The Life of Captain Evans" by Captain Charles Johnson.
9. LETTER OF MARQUE AGAINST THE FRENCH.
Full text of "The Swallow, Letter of Marque against the French, Dated 12th July 1796".
10. PIRATE SURRENDER DOCUMENT.
Full text of "The Pirate Surrender Document of 1810".
11. THE CORSAIR.
Excerpt from The Corsair by Lord George Gordon Byron.
12. TREASURE ISLAND.
Excerpt from Chapter 10 of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Excerpt from Chapter 11 of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.
13. PETER PAN.
Excerpt from Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up by J.M. Barrie.
14. UNITED NATIONS CONVENTION ON THE LAW OF THE SEA.
Excerpt from United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
15. PIRATES HIJACK A TANKER IN THE STRAIT OF MALACCA.
Excerpt from "Dark Passage" by Peter Gwin.
16. INTERVIEW WITH A SOMALI PIRATE.
Excerpt from "I'm Not a Pirate, I'm the Saviour of the Sea" by Jay Bahadur.
17. INTERVIEW WITH CAPTAIN RICHARD PHILLIPS.
Excerpt from "Captain Richard Phillips and the Pirates: What's Ahead for the Vermont Captain" by Mel Allen.
18. COUNTRY WATCH LIST.
Excerpt from the 2010 Country Watch List by the Congressional International Anti-Piracy Caucus.
Where to Learn More.