Kids InfoBits is the perfect educational product for today's young learners. It's a content-rich, authoritative, easy-to-use resource featuring age-appropriate, reliable, curriculum-related content covering a broad range of educational topics. It features a new, modern, graphical interface and improved navigation based on feedback from both our existing customers and student users. The design helps kids explore the product and gain comfort with database searching.
With new full-text proprietary content from trusted sources such as Blackbirch Press®, U•X•L, and more, the information is reliable and geared to fit the needs of today's young learners. Kids InfoBits addresses the way kids learn and conduct research – and makes it fun!
Additional Product Information
- A drilldown subject topic tree for users who need helping identifying a particular topic.
- A simple and visually appealing graphic interface on the GaleNet platform.
- Full-text proprietary reference content from Blackbirch Press that supports the K-5 curriculum.
- Over 3,000 searchable, indexed images.
(PDF, 186 KB)
(XLS, 186 KB)
Kids InfoBits encourages young students to research and find information by applying a proven method to their work — keep it simple. Large, colorful images guide students through levels of information and a straightforward keyword/subject search takes more experienced young researchers to the information they need quickly. The product also features advanced searches for even more specific results and breadcrumb trails to show the steps taken to arrive at a particular page.
Kids InfoBits makes searching fun and easy with a new, modern graphic interface or a simple subject search that places the emphasis on successful searches that allow children to spend time enjoying and learning from the answers they found themselves.
All results matching a student's inquiry are tabulated by source type, including books, pictures, magazines, and news. Children choose the source they wish and are presented with citations corresponding to the information. With a quick click on the citation, young researchers will access captivating results gleaned from Gale's superior content offerings.
Kids InfoBits Sample Searches
- Search 1: An elementary school student wants to learn about dinosaurs.
- Search 2: An elementary school student needs to find information on his state, such as Michigan. He needs information about its past and present, including famous people, major cities and more.
- Search 3: What does the Pledge of Allegiance mean?
- Search 4: An elementary school student needs to find information on an experiment involving static electricity.
Search 1: An elementary school student wants to learn about dinosaurs.
- Open Kids InfoBits and from the home page
- Enter “Dinosuars” in the search field
- The results page shows a wide variety of dinosaur-related content, including 92 books, 47 pictures, 65 magazine articles and one news item.
Search 2: An elementary school student needs to find information on his state, such as Michigan. He needs information about its past and present, including famous people, major cities and more.
- Open Kids InfoBits and from the home page use the topic tree to find information by clicking through topics. In this case: Geography > U.S. States > Michigan
- Under the Reference tab students will find two "state overview" articles, one from the Blackbirch Kid's Visual Reference of the States and one from the Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of the States. Related reference articles explore the state's major cities, its history, famous people born in the state and more.
- Open the state overview from the Blackbirch Kid's Visual Reference of the States and scroll through the article. Students will find each state's map, flag and seal easily, as well as a locator map that shows where Michigan is located. The state's bird, tree and flower are also highlighted.
- Additional tabs offer magazine and newspaper articles that relate to the state, as well as maps, flags and seals, charts and graphs, and images. For example, a student can find a map highlighting the major resources and industries in Michigan under the "Maps, Flags, and Seals" tab.
Search 3: What does the Pledge of Allegiance mean?
- Open Kids InfoBits and from the home page type "Pledge of Allegiance" into the search box.
- A subject guide appears with subjects related to the "Pledge of Allegiance". Click on the "View" link under the subject "Pledge of Allegiance".
- There is a good article titled "I Pledge Allegiance ..." from the September 2002 issue of Appleseedsthat explains the pledge, line by line, in language that young students can understand.
Search 4: An elementary school student needs to find information on an experiment involving static electricity.
- Open Kids InfoBits and from the home page use the topic tree to find information by clicking through topics. In this case: Science & Math > Chemistry & Physical Sciences > Electricity
- Under the "Reference" tab students will find an article that offers an overview of static electricity and how it is produced.
- Under the "Magazines" tab there is a simple experiment within the "A Monkeyshines Static Electricity Experiment" article.