With an emphasis on modeling techniques, Jeremy Shapiro's MODELING THE SUPPLY CHAIN is the perfect tool for courses in supply chain management or for professional managers who seek better analytical tools for managing their supply chains, information technologists who are responsible for developing and/or maintaining such tools, and consultants who conduct supply chain studies using models. Shapiro examines in detail the roles of data, models, and modeling systems in helping companies improve the management of their supply chains. The focus is on optimization models based on linear and mixed integer programming. The complementary role played by descriptive models in developing data inputs for optimization models is thoroughly reviewed. Using numerous applications, Shapiro clearly illustrates that when properly implemented, these methodologies can create accurate and comprehensive models of great practical value. The book also shows how competitive advantage in supply chain management can be most fully realized by developing and applying optimization modeling systems.
Table of Contents
Part I: INTRO TO SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORTING INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES.
1. Supply Chain Management, Integrated Planning, and Models.
2. Information Technology.
Part II: MODELS.
3. Fundamentals of Optimization Models: Linear Programming.
Appendix 3A: The Simplex Method of Linear Programming.
4. Fundamentals of Optimization Models: Mixed Integer Programming.
Appendix 4A: The Branch-and-Bound Method for Mixed Integer Programming.
5. Unified Optimization Methodology for Operational Planning Problems.
Appendix 5A: A Recursive Method for Optimizing Routes.
6. Overview of Descriptive Models.
7. Supply Chain Decision Databases.
Part III: APPLICATIONS.
8. Strategic and Tactical Supply Chain Planning.
9. Operational Supply Chain Planning.
10. Inventory Planning.
11. Supply Chain Decision Making under Uncertainty.
Part IV: THE FUTURE.
12. Beyond Supply Chain Optimization to Enterprise Optimization.
13. Organizational Adaptation to Modeling Systems.