About The Solution
Hands-On Ethical Hacking and Network Defense, Second Edition provides an in-depth understanding of how to effectively protect computer networks. This book describes the tools and penetration testing methodologies used by ethical hackers and provides a thorough discussion of what and who an ethical hacker is and how important they are in protecting corporate and government data from cyber attacks. Readers are provided with updated computer security resources that describe new vulnerabilities and innovative methods to protect networks. Also included is a thorough update of federal and state computer crime laws, as well as changes in penalties for illegal computer hacking. With cyber-terrorism and corporate espionage threatening the fiber of our world, the need for trained network security professionals continues to grow. Hands-On Ethical Hacking and Network Defense, Second Edition provides a structured knowledge base to prepare readers to be security professionals who understand how to protect a network by using the skills and tools of an ethical hacker.
Additional Product Information
- Provides a step-by-step approach to penetration testing techniques and methodologies.
- Helps students discover network vulnerabilities by explaining tools hackers use to bypass network security.
- Includes up-to-date material on network security, and wireless technology and how they affect Wide Area Networks, as well as a thorough background on ethical and legal issues pertaining to penetration testing.
- Features extensive learning tools, including Review Questions, Hands-On Projects, and Case Projects, that allow students to practice skills as they learn.
- Includes numerous case studies that take the student through all aspects of network planning, including interconnectivity issues, physical transmission options, voice and data integration, WAN transport methods and ATM technologies.
- Provides updated computer security tools with a look at new vulnerabilities and exploits and innovative methods to protect networks.
- Includes a thorough update of the federal and state computer crime laws as well as changes in penalties for illegal computer hacking.
- Bootable DVD allows you to use a Linux-based OS and BackTrack security tools on any Microsoft Windows OS to make hands-on activities easier to perform so you can spend more time learning how to use security tools then learning how to install and configure Linux.
- Back of book DVD also includes OSSTMM version 3.0 Lite, a manual for security testers, and several examples of penetration-testing forms you can modify for your use.
- Information on Web filtering, Intrusion Prevention System (IPS), and a look at how virtualization is used both by hackers and security professionals alike has been added to this edition.
Table of Contents
1: Ethical Hacking Overview.
2: TCP/IP Concepts Review.
3: Network and Computer Attacks.
4: Footprinting and Social Engineering.
5: Port Scanning.
7: Programming for Security Professionals.
8: Embedded Operating Systems.
9: Linux Operating System Vulnerabilities.
10: Hacking Web Servers.
11: Hacking Wireless Networks.
13: Protecting Networks with Security Devices.
Appendix A: Legal Resources.
Appendix B: Resources.
Appendix C: Virtual Machine Instructions.
Appendix: Documentation Forms for Penetration Tests (Will appear on DVD in the back of the book only).
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title’s "About the Solution" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Resource CD-ROM
(ISBN-10: 1435486102 | ISBN-13: 9781435486102)
The following supplemental materials are available when this book is used in a classroom setting. All the supplements available with this book are provided to instructors on a single CD, called the Instructor's Resource CD (ISBN 1-4354-8610-2).
Electronic Instructor's Manual--The Instructor's Manual that accompanies this book includes additional material to assist in class preparation, including suggestions for classroom activities, discussion topics, and additional activities.
Solutions--The instructor's resources include solutions to all end-of-chapter material, including review questions, hands-on activities, and case projects.
PowerPoint presentations--This book comes with Microsoft PowerPoint slides for each chapter. They're included as a teaching aid for classroom presentation, to make available to students on the network for chapter review, or to be printed for classroom distribution. Instructors, please feel free to add your own slides for additional topics you introduce to the class.
Figure files--All figures and tables in the book are reproduced on the Instructor's Resource CD in bitmap format. Similar to the PowerPoint presentations, they're included as a teaching aid for classroom presentation, to make available to students for review, or to be printed for classroom distribution.
Custom learning materials let you create a digital or print course solution in the style and format best
for you and your learners. Maximize engagement and achieve desired outcomes with the aid of our academic and
digital experts, who have years of experience helping instructors customize material to specific course needs.
Create your custom solution »