Judaism: Development and Life, 4th Edition
- Leo Trepp Napa College (retired)
- ISBN-10: 053454634X | ISBN-13: 9780534546342
- 365 Pages
- Previous Editions: 1982, 1974
- © 2000 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $130.50
JUDAISM: DEVELOPMENT AND LIFE guides readers through the history, evolution, life patterns, institutions, practices, customs, and current expressions of Judaism. This text assumes no prior knowledge about Judaism or the Bible, making it ideal for introductory courses. The only other book necessary to understanding this book is the Bible itself. A chapter on Zionism and the State of Israel includes up-to-date information about the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
1. Introduction: The Jews and the Fabric of Judaism.
2. The Loom of History: The Biblical, Hellenistic, and Talmudic Periods.
3. The Impact of Christianity.
4. The World of the "Jewish Middle Ages."
5. Jewish Mysticism, Hasidism, and Modern Jewry.
6. Emancipation and the Modern Age.
7. The American Destiny.
8. Zionism and the State of Israel.
9. The Holocaust.
10. Jews Outside Israel and North America.
11. The Restored Christian-Jewish Dialogue.
12. Wellsprings of the Jewish Spirit: Tenakh, Holy Spirit.
13. Of Oral Torah.
14. Definition and Symbols: God, Humanity, and Eternity.
15. Theological Issues.
16. Attempts at Post-Holocaust Theology.
17. Life as Mitzvah: Prayer and the House of the Lord.
18. The Mitzvah of Physical Consecration: Dietary Laws.
19. Sabbath, Day of Re-Creation.
20. The Jewish Calendar and Holy Days.
21. The Years of Life.
22. The Position of Woman.
23. Retrospect and Prospect.