AFRICAN POLITICS AND SOCIETY: A MOSAIC IN TRANSFORMATION is the first single-authored textbook to examine continuity and change in African politics and society from the pre-colonial era to the present. It fills the needs of those with little prior knowledge while balancing this background information with thorough analysis for those already familiar with the subject. An emphasis has been placed on making sense of general developments on the African continent as a whole while introducing the distinctive natures of Africa's 53 countries. Each chapter emphasizes the major trends associated with a topic, trends that are further explored through illustrative case studies that represent all regions of the African continent. Each chapter concludes with a list of readings for further exploration and research. Numerous maps, tables, figures, and boxed elements highlight fundamental issues of interest. Because each chapter stands alone, instructors can assign chapters that relate topics that are of greatest
relevance to the course or reorder chapters to better suit their syllabi.
Table of Contents
Part I: INTRODUCTION.
1. Understanding African Politics and Society.
Part II: HISTORICAL CONTEXT.
2. Politics and Economics of the Precolonial Independence Era (Prior to 1884).
3. Political and Economic Impacts of Colonialism (1884-1951).
4. Nationalism and the Emergence of the Contemporary Independence Era (1951-Present).
Part III: SOCIOCULTURAL ENVIRONMENT.
5. Ethnicity and Class.
6. Ideology and the Politics of Development.
7. Politics of the African Novel.
Part IV: CONTINUITY AND CHANGE IN GOVERNANCE.
8. State and Civil Society.
9. Military Coups d'Etat and Military Governance.
10. Democratic Experiments and Multiparty Politics.
Part V: FOREIGN RELATIONS.
11. Foreign Policy Making and the Pursuit of Pan-Africanism.
12. Africa in World Politics.
Part VI: RIVAL THEORETICAL PERSPECTIVES
13. Study of Africa in the Liberal Tradition.
14. Study of Africa in the Critical Tradition.
Appendix 1: List of Acronyms.
Appendix 2: Country Name Changes in Africa During the Contemporary Independence Era.
Appendix 3: Political Leadership in Africa During the Contemporary Independence Era.