In TEACHING YOUNG CHILDREN IN MULTICULTURAL CLASSROOMS: ISSUES, CONCEPTS, AND STRATEGIES, 3rd Edition the authors share their own experiences as both immigrants and instructors to present historical, theoretical, political, and sociological aspects of multicultural education as it relates to young children. The text provides practical guidelines, curriculum suggestions, and techniques for use in the classroom.
This third edition includes updated content on demographics, children with special needs, and children's book lists. Readers will also follow Barbara, a kindergarten teacher, through the chapters to see how she handles the dilemmas and issues that arise in her day-to-day work.
The authors have worked to address the very fluid nature of terminology and trends within the field. A portfolio experience based on INTASC (Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium) standards is included to help students make the important connection between what they are reading and how the content applies in a classroom setting.
In addition to being a text for those studying to become early childhood teachers, TEACHING YOUNG CHILDREN IN MULTICULTURAL CLASSROOMS: ISSUES, CONCEPTS, AND STRATEGIES, 3rd Edition, is a comprehensive resource for all practicing professionals who work with young children on a daily basis.
Table of Contents
Part I: FOUNDATIONS FOR MULTICULTURAL EDUCATION IN TODAY'S EARLY CHILDHOOD CLASSROOMS.
1. Facing the Reality of Diversity: The Intricate Nature of Our Society.
2. The Nature of Culture, The Nature of People.
3. Families in Our Classrooms: Many Ways, Many Voices.
4. Who Is the Child? Developmental Characteristics of Young Children.
Part II: EXPLORING THE ROOTS OF MULTICULTURAL EDUCATION: ISSUES AND DIRECTIONS.
5. Everything Started When Tracing the Beginnings of Multicultural Education.
6. Approaches to Multicultural Education: Ways and Designs for Classroom Implementation.
Part III: INTO ACTION: IMPLEMENTING A MULTICULTURAL PROGRAM FOR YOUNG CHILDREN.
7. The Classroom, Where Words Become Action.
8. Preparing to Bring Ideas into Action.
9. Activities and Resources for Multicultural Teaching: A World of Possibilities.
10. A World of Resources: Involving Families, Friends, and the Community.
Appendix A: List of Multicultural Children's Books.
Appendix B: Web of Possibilities Using Multicultural Literature.
Appendix C: Developing Multicultural Awareness: Sample Activities.
Appendix D: Sample Lesson Plan Using the Black Snowman.
Appendix E: Sample Lesson Plan Using the Bredekamp and Rosegrant Model.
Appendix F: Organizations That Support Multiculturalism and Diversity.
Appendix G: Learning About Islands.
Appendix H: Island Stick Puppets.
Appendix I: Planning for Cultural Diversity: Developing a Class Profile.
Appendix J: Checklist for Diversity in Early Childhood Education and Care (SECA).