A complete movement education resource for early childhood and physical education professionals, EXPERIENCES IN MUSIC AND MOVEMENT teaches students the importance of movement in the physical, emotional, and educational growth of children. In addition to teaching movement's role in traditional child development areas -- physical, affective, and cognitive -- EXPERIENCES IN MUSIC AND MOVEMENT details musical and creative development, and is the only text of its kind to do both. The text includes an entire movement program; lesson planning; guidelines for music selection and usage; developmentally appropriate teaching methods; and tried-and-true tips for creating and maintaining a positive learning environment with children on the move.
Table of Contents
Part 1: THE BASICS OF MOVEMENT EDUCATION.
1. Movement's Role in Child Development.
2. Movement's Role in Musical and Creative Development.
3. Child Development Characteristics and Their Impact on the Movement Program.
4. Content of the Movement Program.
Part 2: PLANNING FOR MOVEMENT AND MUSIC.
5. Lesson Planning.
6. The When, Where, and What of Movement Sessions.
7. Choosing and Using Music.
Part 3: FACILITATING MOVEMENT EXPERIENCES.
8. Teaching Methods.
9. Creating and Maintaining a Positive Learning Environment.
Part 4: MOVEMENT AND MUSIC THROUGH THE DAY.
10. Movement Across the Curriculum.
11. Using Movement and Music for Transitions.
12. Bringing Movement Education Outdoors.
Appendix 1: Appropriate Practices in Movement Programs for Children.
Appendix 2: Sources and Resources.