1. The Nature and Rewards of Music Teaching.
2. The School Music Teacher.
Part 1. Why Teach Music?
3. The Importance of Music in the Schools.
Part 2. What: The Subject Matter Of Music.
4. The Secondary School Music Curriculum.
5. Planning for Music Instruction.
Part 3 How: The Methods Of Music Teaching.
6. Guidelines for Teaching Music in the Schools.
7. Teaching Instrumental Music.
8. Teaching Teenage Singers.
9. Rehearsing Performance Ensembles: Preparation and Procedures.
10. Rehearsing Performing Ensembles: Intonation and Expression.
11. Teaching for More than Performances.
12. Teaching Middle School General Music.
13. Teaching High School Non-Performance Courses.
14. School Music Performances.
Part 4. To Whom: The Students.
15. Teenagers and Music.
16. Managing Music Classes and Rehearsals.
Part 5. With What Result?
17. Assessing Learning in Music.
18. The Music Education Profession: Past, Present, and Future.